Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGC Big Game Records Book >

PGC Big Game Records Book

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Big Game Records Book

Old 02-28-2024, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Great, let us know what it measures.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be somewhere in the 120's which isn't all that impressive but considering my age and where I hunt I seriously doubt I'll ever get anything better. But it would be nice for the deer to get a little recognition.

BTW, here's the mount from a nine point I got on my property during the 2021 PA archery season. It doesn't score as high as last year's eight point but at the time I assumed it would be my best ever.

Attached Thumbnails PGC Big Game Records Book-img_8036.jpg  
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with that deer, nice and wide and good mass.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Might surprise yourself this fall, who knows!

- Jake
Old 03-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Might surprise yourself this fall, who knows!

- Jake
One of this year's survivors is that wide eight that is very similar to the mounted nine from 2021 but I doubt he will ever outscore last year's buck. Here's a recent video of him at the front of a stampede past one of my cameras.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Just got back from Huntingdon. The official net score was 125 1/8 which is a whopping 1/4" less than my own unofficial net score which shocked the heck out of me considering that was the first deer I have ever tried to score. One of my buddies went along and took a rack from a buck his younger brother got in 2013. It was a ten point and netted around 127. Very nice buck as well.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats your guess was pretty good.!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I should get my buck scored I have no idea what it would go. Congrats on cracking 125!
Old 03-08-2024, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats your guess was pretty good.!
It wasn't really a guess. If you go to the Boone & Crockett website they have a spreadsheet that you simply enter the measurements into and it does all the math for you. When I did my own score back in December I used a simple seamstress flexible tape and got pretty close. The official scorer used a combination of a small diameter flexible cable, a folding ruler and a 1/4" wide steel tape. He also used masking tape whenever he needed to hold the cable in place as he went around curves or if he needed to mark reference lines. He used the cable to get the length dimensions and then transferred those onto the wooden folding ruler. The 1/4" steel tape was used only for circumferential measurements.

The flexible tape I used was really too wide to get accurate circumferential measurements and that is where we had most of the differences between his and my numbers. I took a print-out of the chart with my scores and it was fun to compare numbers. I was within an eight of an inch on almost every measurement and quite a few were right on. I did have one brain fart where one of my measurements was like 3/4" too long but it evened out in the end because the rack was actually more symmetrical than I had it so that meant there was less of a difference from side-to-side and therefore a smaller deduction from the overall (gross) score. The B&C method places a lot of emphasis on the symmetry of typical racks. Mine had only 2-3/8" of side-to-side deductions.

Here's a link to the B&C typical whitetail scoring chart:

https://www.boone-crockett.org/score...whitetail_deer
Old 03-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blksn8k
It wasn't really a guess. If you go to the Boone & Crockett website they have a spreadsheet that you simply enter the measurements into and it does all the math for you. When I did my own score back in December I used a simple seamstress flexible tape and got pretty close. The official scorer used a combination of a small diameter flexible cable, a folding ruler and a 1/4" wide steel tape. He also used masking tape whenever he needed to hold the cable in place as he went around curves or if he needed to mark reference lines. He used the cable to get the length dimensions and then transferred those onto the wooden folding ruler. The 1/4" steel tape was used only for circumferential measurements.

The flexible tape I used was really too wide to get accurate circumferential measurements and that is where we had most of the differences between his and my numbers. I took a print-out of the chart with my scores and it was fun to compare numbers. I was within an eight of an inch on almost every measurement and quite a few were right on. I did have one brain fart where one of my measurements was like 3/4" too long but it evened out in the end because the rack was actually more symmetrical than I had it so that meant there was less of a difference from side-to-side and therefore a smaller deduction from the overall (gross) score. The B&C method places a lot of emphasis on the symmetry of typical racks. Mine had only 2-3/8" of side-to-side deductions.

Here's a link to the B&C typical whitetail scoring chart:

https://www.boone-crockett.org/score...whitetail_deer
I actually know how it is done. I was an official mearurer for The PGC records book for 13 years.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I actually know how it is done. I was an official mearurer for The PGC records book for 13 years.
Awesome! So can you still do any official scoring? It sure seems like they could use your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.