Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Whats up w/NY dmu permits? >

Whats up w/NY dmu permits?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whats up w/NY dmu permits?

Old 10-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats up w/NY dmu permits?

I was previously denied a permit for my first choice 7m, and recieved 1 perference point. Today in the mail I get a letter from the DEC w/ a permit for the area I was denied. I never contacted them on the denial. There' s really no explaination, just letter read previously denied applicant. Now in a way I' m both happy, and angry. My original plan was if I recieved a permit for 7m. I was then going to have my wife with a perference point apply to another area I hunt with less chance of obtaining a permit. Knowing she can sign the permit over to me. But because I was denied I had her apply to the same dmu I was denied, which she got. So by recieving 1 in the mail, some how the system must have messed up! Anyone else get previously denied permits in the mail recently, or have news on whats going on?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whats up w/NY dmu permits?

They messed up last year with me but it turned out alright. Applied by mail as a landowner and after 4 weeks they told me they lost the application. So I went down to the shop and purchased one and got one DMP with my license. Then about three weeks later I get my original license application back along with a second license. Lo and behold, also included are 2 more DMP permits.So two licenses and three DMPs all for the same guy, same address. Well, I sent back the second license minus the DMPs, they credited my CC for the second set of licenses and all was well with the world. I think the computer recalculates the number of doe permits it gives out after the flurry of buying is over and if the quota wasn' t met it starts printing out more and they mail them to whoever applied until the quota is met. Thats why when my 2nd license was processed later it gave me more DMP' s. It maybe that the time you buy your license may have a real effect on the DMP' s handed out with the new system because it was designed to give them out on a percentage basis instantaneously, according to the rating of the licensees which may not coincide with the overall quota and rating of the WMU. Sort of like flipping coins and everyone who has it land on heads is denied a DMP. Afterwards the computer realizes that 50% of the people in that region should have got permits but only 25% actually did simply due to bad luck and having their coins land on heads. So then it starts spitting out DMP' s to compensate and bring the WMU back up to 50%.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: nyorange
I think the computer recalculates the number of doe permits it gives out after the flurry of buying is over and if the quota wasn' t met it starts printing out more and they mail them to whoever applied until the quota is met.

I believe this is what probably happened, no mistake, just left over permits. With everything being on the computer they can do things alot faster. If you are concerned, call albany and ask what is going on, better to be safe then sorry.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I also received my second permit monday that i was previous deny. I think they do recalculate in late oct . the 1st of nov all unsold permits go out on a first come bases. You can keep track of this on ny hunting web sight.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:36 AM

i got 2 permits when i got my licsence but my dad got 1 and they mailed him another
Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing happened to my brother. He was denied 7M and got one in the mail. All I know having a permit is better than no permit. I think everyone else is correct about the computer under allocating, but I thought that was why they have the re-apply after Nov 1st?? Overall I think the new system is working well after some initial bumps last year.

happy hunting
Old 10-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Same thing happened to me, I received my 2nd permit Saturday that was previously denied.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

they are sending more out, as there are extra, there was an article on it in the local paper...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me & a buddy too - 7M - " previously denied 1st choice"

I wonder if the preference point is still good for next year??????

Old 10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I read it in the Binghamton paper, your preference point will still be in effect for next year.

Quick Reply: Whats up w/NY dmu permits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.