Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
West Viginia Deer Hunting? >

West Viginia Deer Hunting?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Viginia Deer Hunting?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default West Viginia Deer Hunting?

Wondering if any WV hunters can tell me what kind of shape the deer herd is in? Is there a lot of public land to hunt? Can access to private land or leases be had? Was looking at District 1 as a possibility.

Thanks for any info . . . Rob
Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

where is district 1? I live in hardy county, have access to 16,000 acres of private land, plus a lot of public land, the heard is good, too many deer, buck kill was up 60% this year due to lack of mast crop and any field would attract deer
RR
Old 12-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

District 1 is in the northern part of the state. Preston county
Old 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt not far from RR... one county over. We hunt the same general herd. Lots of deer, not alot of big bucks -its just the area we are in. But its good hunting, and plenty of meat for the table.

WV has a diverse population, depending on where you hunt...and the size can vary big time too - both in body and rack. Most of the northern part of the state seems to have a pretty good herd. I have friends in the NW part, they have alot of deer...we are in NE, lots of deer. But I don't know anything about Preston county...sorry.

The biggest bucks in WV are down south, in the bow only counties. Some giants down there, but the density is way lower than up north. New potential State Record came from down that way this year.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is an average buck size of the ones you take? Things like dressed weight, # of points, gross score if you score them? Do you see multiple bucks in a weeks time?

Thanks again for any info!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have too many deer and see alot of deer while hunting. Something you up north probably cannot relate to. My guess....hunting a place like WV will be very different from where you hunt.

Its nothing for me to have a day where I see 15-20 deer, and 5-7 of them bucks. Now that isn't every day by any means, but there is also not that many days where I don't have the opportunity to at least get a shot at a deer (doe or buck). We can shoot does every day.

Body size where I hunt...they are pretty small. Avg dressed buck is 90-120lbs, rack score...well if you get a 110" or better you are doing pretty well. It just is what it is. Most mature bucks will be 8pts at our place. We kill some 9pts, hardly any 10's. Years ago we had a no brow tine trait, but that has seemed to fade out. Most have brows now.

And at our camp we usually shoot at least 25-30 deer a year off our farm which is about 1000 acres, some years we have taken twice that amount. We used to weigh them all years ago just to keep records, now we only weigh them if they are bigger. We took a 118" 9pt this year, was pretty nice for our place. It had a split brow, was a basic 8.

I did not shoot a buck this year in WV... passed up about 20-25 if I had to guess. Just didn't seen any I wanted to shoot. Slick heads only for me.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
We have too many deer and see alot of deer while hunting. Something you up north probably cannot relate to. My guess....hunting a place like WV will be very different from where you hunt.

Its nothing for me to have a day where I see 15-20 deer, and 5-7 of them bucks. Now that isn't every day by any means, but there is also not that many days where I don't have the opportunity to at least get a shot at a deer (doe or buck). We can shoot does every day.

Body size where I hunt...they are pretty small. Avg dressed buck is 90-120lbs, rack score...well if you get a 110" or better you are doing pretty well. It just is what it is. Most mature bucks will be 8pts at our place. We kill some 9pts, hardly any 10's. Years ago we had a no brow tine trait, but that has seemed to fade out. Most have brows now.

And at our camp we usually shoot at least 25-30 deer a year off our farm which is about 1000 acres, some years we have taken twice that amount. We used to weigh them all years ago just to keep records, now we only weigh them if they are bigger. We took a 118" 9pt this year, was pretty nice for our place. It had a split brow, was a basic 8.

I did not shoot a buck this year in WV... passed up about 20-25 if I had to guess. Just didn't seen any I wanted to shoot. Slick heads only for me.
I saw 41 thanksgiving day, few more years we will have them whittled down till you don't hafta push them out of the way to set down.
RR
Old 12-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The entire 16 day rifle season in Vermont I saw 13. That was a lot compared to many people.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

My FL neighbor told me that he and his brother have 1000 acres in Wayne county and told me I would be welcome to go there and hunt. He tells me there are lot of deer on the property.
Maybe I'll take him up on it next year. But I have to see about the regs.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I saw 41 thanksgiving day, few more years we will have them whittled down till you don't hafta push them out of the way to set down.
RR
LOL RR. Sometimes its like that aint it.

I saw a pretty nice buck road kill on corridor H last week. Do you hunt near there? Some real pretty land between where I live and Moorefield.

I saw some Bear hunters over near my place last week right off 55. WV tags on the trucks with boxes... WAY into VA, a good 5 miles. I bet they were sweating trying to find their dogs - hoping they didn't bump into the warden or a pissed off landowner. Not sure where they were hunting that they could have gotten that far into VA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.