HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - West Viginia Deer Hunting?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

We have too many deer and see alot of deer while hunting. Something you up north probably cannot relate to. My guess....hunting a place like WV will be very different from where you hunt.

Its nothing for me to have a day where I see 15-20 deer, and 5-7 of them bucks. Now that isn't every day by any means, but there is also not that many days where I don't have the opportunity to at least get a shot at a deer (doe or buck). We can shoot does every day.

Body size where I hunt...they are pretty small. Avg dressed buck is 90-120lbs, rack score...well if you get a 110" or better you are doing pretty well. It just is what it is. Most mature bucks will be 8pts at our place. We kill some 9pts, hardly any 10's. Years ago we had a no brow tine trait, but that has seemed to fade out. Most have brows now.

And at our camp we usually shoot at least 25-30 deer a year off our farm which is about 1000 acres, some years we have taken twice that amount. We used to weigh them all years ago just to keep records, now we only weigh them if they are bigger. We took a 118" 9pt this year, was pretty nice for our place. It had a split brow, was a basic 8.

I did not shoot a buck this year in WV... passed up about 20-25 if I had to guess. Just didn't seen any I wanted to shoot. Slick heads only for me.