Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
West Viginia Deer Hunting? >

West Viginia Deer Hunting?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

West Viginia Deer Hunting?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a lot of ticks in WV?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
usualy just during summer, they are worse this year I guess due to the El Nino effect, guy bear hunting with me last sat. found one crawling on his shirt, saw deer that had them this year for the first time in my memory during season.
RR
Old 12-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
LOL RR. Sometimes its like that aint it.

I saw a pretty nice buck road kill on corridor H last week. Do you hunt near there? Some real pretty land between where I live and Moorefield.

I saw some Bear hunters over near my place last week right off 55. WV tags on the trucks with boxes... WAY into VA, a good 5 miles. I bet they were sweating trying to find their dogs - hoping they didn't bump into the warden or a pissed off landowner. Not sure where they were hunting that they could have gotten that far into VA.
I set on the berm of the corridor the first cut east of the baker exit a lot, killed an 8 point at 587 yards, and a coyote at 275 the last day of season from there, many many wv guys bear hunt va, I did for years when I had my hounds mainly because there were more bear than bear hunters. I also had 5 weeks vacation to burn.
I think I saw the same buck on the right of the westbound lanes just before or just after the Clifford hollow bridge.
RR
Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting RR. The good thing about hunting there... no traffic noise

I've never in my life seen such an awesome road with no cars on it. I was coming home from Ohio one night last summer...got on down by Mount Storm and I swear I only passed 3-4 oncoming cars all the way to Wardensville. Granted, it was like 11pm but geez...

I live only about 10 miles from Wardensville just off 55 in VA, so not too far from you at all. Maybe we'll bump into each other one day.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Where we hunt I would consider it typical for ticks I guess. Not everywhere, but you do find em now and then - more prevalent when its warm. I had one tiny one crawling on my neck last weekend.

Springtime, alot more obviously.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Nice shooting RR. The good thing about hunting there... no traffic noise

I've never in my life seen such an awesome road with no cars on it. I was coming home from Ohio one night last summer...got on down by Mount Storm and I swear I only passed 3-4 oncoming cars all the way to Wardensville. Granted, it was like 11pm but geez...

I live only about 10 miles from Wardensville just off 55 in VA, so not too far from you at all. Maybe we'll bump into each other one day.
maybe so, if we do the beers on me, traveled 55 to strausburg for 23 years, now I don't stray much north of wardensville unless heading for the James River or the OBX
RR
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of them boys hunt w/ us near Strasburg but not that many of them. I shot a nice boar yesterday not too far from there. Dogs ran the snot out of him for 5.5 hrs. before we were able to harvest him. Had 3 dogs running through downtown Strasburg earlier in the week after they swam the river after the bear.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Spike

I live in harrison county W.V. and frequently see deer walking down our city streets.