Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Scent ban in Pa? >

Scent ban in Pa?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scent ban in Pa?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
HJ, the PGC's veterinarian advised against baiting in the special regulations areas after he came on board, and for banning urine based scents. You have to remember, the Board of Commissioners are not the professional staff, the board doesn't have to follow the advise of the staff, and many times, they don't.
I have no problem if the PGC banning urine based scents if there is a chance of spreading CWD. The baiting program is funny to me. I kinda think the PGC brought it back to make money in all the fines they get from it. My DCO buddy in Bucks county has 6 Hunters set up to bust for non registered bait sites. These Morons can do it the right way and still try to buck the system. I would say 75% of the violations he writes is from Baiting . The amount of SLOB hunters that are in the PA woods is mind blowing.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
WOW!! what a joke. $14,500 to hang a Deer on your wall that you shot inside a fence.
One of the testimonials on the website is a from a guy that probably paid at least $5.5K for a big buck he's pictured with and he said the place isn't that easy a "hunt" because after he saw the one he wanted it took him a second day to kill it, LOL! The website also says a guide takes you out and I guess that's so they can tell you how much you owe before you squeeze the trigger on a big one!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-23-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

HJ, they re-allowed bating so they can kill more deer in an area where they need to kill them. Problem is, it isn't going to do the job, it didn't do it the first time. What is needed in those WMUs is more access and the landowners in those areas have historically not allowed hunting and they cannot be forced to allow it. They will never kill enough deer in those WMUs.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I never had a problem gaining access in Bucks or Chester. Guess things have changed in the last few years? Of course I was always polite and gave the owners a share in the harvest if I harvested. Was always lucky with that.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super, the reason the population is so high in those counties is because of very limited access. I have a friend who hunts with his son and a couple of other guys on a farm in Chester Co. He always kills 5 or 6 deer a year and so does his son. Some of those deer are used for our club's youth pheasant hunt where we roast a whole dr on a spit and for Hunting and fishing day where we do the same, this year we are doing two to give to people who attend the celebration at Middlecreek. The farmer wants the deer killed but does not just allow anyone to hunt his land. Consequently, every year the population is about the same as the year before. Those who do allow hunting do not allow what you would call public hunting and while one landowner may allow hunting the neighbors do not so it is just a never ending battle. you can go the the Co Treasurers office and buy as many license as you want over the counter, however it doesn't matter how many license you can have if you have no place to use them. That is why the commissioners decided to allow baiting in those areas, however it failed to do much the first time and there was an expiration on the number of years it was legal, now with CWD in the state I believe it was flat out stupid to reinstate baiting. One of those lets do something even if wrong. The only saving grace may be, there are few deer propagators in those areas for CWD to start.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-23-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
You appear to be against darn near any regulation whether for the good or not. CWD or the spores for it has been found in feces, saliva, and urine. While most biologists believe in the lateral transfer of the disease it is still unknown exactly how it has spread but these are the methods most simulations point to. Now you say there is no science to back this well how about this. All these deer scent farms use practically the same method to collect the urine and that is by getting the deer into the area with grated floors and they do what they do. Now while they are pissing in this grated floor, they are also drooling, and also crapping. All three fluids are found in the collection systems when tested. From the time a deer is infected to the time you might see symptoms can be anywhere from several months to 18 months that means there is a very long time that these deer can go unnoticed and continue infecting other deer. I applaud the states for taking this action to protect our resources and I would hope you would see them as making an effort.

Other things to consider:

CWD was first found in captive deer in the 60's and wild deer in the 80's. Kind of gives you an idea where this disease may be most prevalent.

The only test for CWD is by examining the portion of the brain stem. So not sure how these farms are testing there animals, but if an infected animals is found several months later, a hunter could have then used his bottles many times in many areas throughout a season before even a recall notice will go out.

I dont care if the deer are individually taking in for a bottle or not, the risk outweighs the reward by a long shot.
Care to explain how states that are bringing Elk into their state from non tested CWD states are using a live test to test those animals and its fine for them? Cwd was started by the Govt and spread to the wilds by the Govt. Period. CWD is not only found in the brainstem! CWD is first detected in the nodes and then travels to the brain. Hence they pull both samples. You say CWD spread in urine, Care to explain how every deer that was node tested and brain tested positive-Which was 2 animals!..and both were negitive when urine tested for the CWD prion. Yet the same prion is being found in Corn and Alfalfa in CWD positive states. CWD will never be stopped or even slowed by banning urine, farms or anything else that has to do with whitetails until all farms in CWD positive states are shut down for exporting products out of those states. CWD has done nothing to hurt any herds in and states and ruth be known from guys in Wisconsin hotzone is that the herd even got bigger after CWD and they now have to take more animals to keep them in check. Political Disease from agenda driven few that are now losing ground state after state. Now you want to see dead deer? Wait till EHD knocks on your door.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
vapahunter, you are starting to remind me of my kids when they were 2 years old and throwing a little temper tantrum with no amount of reasoning settling them down. You have been told in no uncertain terms that the prions that cause CWD has been found in bodily fluids including the urine of infected animals. Now, being as the most common occurrences of CWD are in captive whitetail deer and elk, how does this not compute for you? A) CWD is commonly found in captive animals. B) Scent lures (doe and buck urine) are collected from captive animals. C) CWD is KNOWN to be transmitted through bodily fluids such as urine. D) Until an animal starts to show the symptoms of CWD it cannot be detected at this point and time without the killing of the animal.

Now, it has been spelled out for you as simply as I and others can possibly spell it. If you don;t get the problem by now, you never will.
I have to ask myself where you get your info from? CWD cant be detected until an animals shows signs??? Really? Why has it ONLY been found in animals that have been killed by every other means than CWD itself? Care to show a case, any case, where a deer was found dead and proven to have been killed by CWD. Sounds like we have a lot of arm chair scientists here.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
To be a deer farmer you are certainly misinformed WildOutdoorWhtl. So far there has been no way that's been found to kill prions, so, with that being said, mind telling me how "sterile" even factors into the discussion? It's a protein. There are proteins in urine. And no, urine isn't "sterile" anyway. All kinds of bacteria can be in it even BEFORE leaving the body. If it was sterile, or had sterilizing properties, you think there would be any bladder infections? UT infections? Your just another deer farmer trying to shush the truth. Not a very smart one either judging from the nonsense you just spouted off. Has it wiped out the herd yet? Of course not, it isn't a fast acting disease for one, for two it isn't wide spread YET which is why the PGC is doing all they can possibly think of to contain the spread.

Oh hell, you are one of them canned hunt operators. You certainly wont get a warm and fuzzy welcome around here. LMAO@ calling your operation "wild outdoors"! Aint nothing wild about those poor whitetail you have idiots coming to shoot. You have already shown your extreme lack of knowledge about a disease you should be extremely familiar with since it's morons like yourself that has let this disease loose in the wild!
HaHa..Is this not post a joke or what. Coming from a guy that lives in a state that has had 500-600 case of CWD in WILD deer and NEVER a case EVER found behind fence! Pretty simple to show how the farmers in your state will get CWD infected someday. Farms again will be infected by the wild herd. You will see a huge lawsuit one of these days when that first farm is infected by the wild whitetails. Wont take a real smart lawyer to show the evidence on that one!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, the joke is your post BT1, the government started CWD, now that is a hoot. Additionally, we have had EHD in PA, it is not contagious, it is caused by biting midges. I recommend you do not pretend you know a thing about CWD, because it is apparent you don't. Somehow I suspect another high fence operator or a deer farmer.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No, the joke is your post BT1, the government started CWD, now that is a hoot. Additionally, we have had EHD in PA, it is not contagious, it is caused by biting midges. I recommend you do not pretend you know a thing about CWD, because it is apparent you don't. Somehow I suspect another high fence operator or a deer farmer.
Be careful Oldtimer as you may be barking up the wrong tree... I will even make it simple for ya starting out. You can read research i am sure and you know a research is funded by the Govt. You can read Wild mule deer and 40 years? Pretty simple stuff here. We can get complex if ya so choose.

Home
Contact the Alliance
Where and How Did CWD Originate?

The origin of CWD is unknown, and it may never be possible to definitively determine how or when CWD arose. It was first recognized as a syndrome in]captive mule deer held in wildlife research facilities in Colorado in the late 1960 but it was not identified as a TSE until the 1970s. Computer modeling suggests the disease may have been present in free-ranging populations of mule deer for more than 40 years.

Scrapie, a TSE of domestic sheep, has been recognized in the United States since 1947, and it is possible that CWD was derived from scrapie. It is possible, though never proven, that deer came into contact with scrapie-infected sheep either on shared pastures or in captivity somewhere along the front range of the Rocky Mountains, where high levels of sheep grazing occurred in the early 1900s.

It may be possible that CWD is a spontaneous TSE that arose in deer in the wild or in captivity and has biological features promoting transmission to other deer and elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.