Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Northern Tier, Upstate NY rut? >

Northern Tier, Upstate NY rut?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Northern Tier, Upstate NY rut?

Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Northern Tier, Upstate NY rut?

Hey can anyone tell me when the rut starts and ends in the Northern Tier of NY state? I' m origonally from WV but have been here a few years and just starting to hunt here. Any advice would be great thanks! God Bless th United States Army!
Old 10-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Northern Tier, Upstate NY rut?

you will probably get many different responses to this
there is a general window that you will normally seem published in various magazines for the Northeast ( I have mags but not handy to go look it up)
here is what I have written down from some of the things I' ve read:
rut activities begins to escalate on/around Nov. 1st (maybe " begins" during the prior weeK); it tapers off/" ends" after ~2 weeks
I also read somewhere that the serious rut starts after the 2nd full moon after sept 21, but that doesn' y seem to jive?????
one thing I pay attention to is dead deer on road sides - that indicates an increase in deer movement and that correlates to rut activity
I would suggest you get a few hunting magazines - they will have articles on many aspects of the rut and hunting it (bowhuning magazines and NY Game and Fish come to mind)
hope this helps somewhat
Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

look for any weather changes that may spark the rut.

BTW Doughboy You are a SigEp?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:56 PM

I believe it has to do with weather, plus there are usually two rut times you have the main one, then a short rest period, then there is a smaller one. The later rut is for the smaller deer and isn' t as active. Doughboysigep is probably close, if you had to put dates on it, but like I said I feel it has alot to do with weather conditions.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Spike

THE WEATHER IS THE KEY FACTOR, BUT IF YOU ONLY GAVE ME ONE WEEK TO HUNT, IT WOULD BE THE 8TH-17TH.
C' MON SATURDAY
Old 10-15-2003, 11:53 AM

Welcome to upstate NY Redleg. I was born and raised in upstate NY and can tell you that the best period of time to be in the woods is the three weeks beginning with the Veterans Day weekend. Don' t forget though, that a good number of bucks are killed outside of that time period. Good luck!