Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Doe application due >

PA Doe application due

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Doe application due

Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will say that we've been seeing a lot heavier deer. 200lb+ bucks are common and some are 250 or better.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be back in 2G for the first time in about 10 years. Used to go every year before the "Alt period", then stopped because we stopped seeing deer.

Heading back this year, should be interesting.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

2G is a great unit and there's still plenty of deer if you hunt where there's food and cover.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the big woods of 3B and the deer are in pockets. You could go a mile with no deer sign at all. Then you stumble upon a thicket or a swampy area and it's loaded with deer. But, if you spook them, you gotta hike another mile.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

What nonsense. You can walk the ridges around here and see VERY large old rubs everywhere. Now you see almost nothing. One mountain in particular that I have hunted for years is ruined. Every year there were big racked deer taken off that mountain until the Alt years came along. Just my observation, but the herd there was about 50-50 (Buck-doe) before Alt screwed it up. Allegedly, deer breed like rats, according to the science boys. Why almost no rebound in certain areas even with almost no hunting pressure? I can walk around all day and see nobody else on some of the mountains here. Cutting back on doe tags and season length certainly says something.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Your post makes no sense.If there's no hunting pressure then who's killing the deer?Most likely that mountain has lousy habitat which is why there's few deer.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

Are you a new hunter or what? You sound like someone that watches a lot of deer videos. There is no hunting pressure because the herd was decimated in the Alt years (Probably before you were hunting). Deer do not just "spill over" from areas that still have large amounts of deer. It takes a long time for deer to come back in areas that were literally wiped out. I hunted places years back that had a line of guys every 50 yards on top, in the middle, and the bottom of mountains. Now you can walk all day and be lucky to see 4 hunters. No deer=no hunters. It is not unusual during bumper crop years for acorns to see piles of them rotting on the ground in april. The PAGC is finally trying to do the right thing. Around here they are starting to use controlled burns to improve habitat. Years back "Improving habitat" meant rapeing the forest of any good saw logs and planting bushes that choked out anything of value. Maybe they (PAGC) are finally headed in the right direction. Alt is gone from PA. Good riddance.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Are you a new hunter or what? You sound like someone that watches a lot of deer videos. There is no hunting pressure because the herd was decimated in the Alt years (Probably before you were hunting). Deer do not just "spill over" from areas that still have large amounts of deer. It takes a long time for deer to come back in areas that were literally wiped out. I hunted places years back that had a line of guys every 50 yards on top, in the middle, and the bottom of mountains. Now you can walk all day and be lucky to see 4 hunters. No deer=no hunters. It is not unusual during bumper crop years for acorns to see piles of them rotting on the ground in april. The PAGC is finally trying to do the right thing. Around here they are starting to use controlled burns to improve habitat. Years back "Improving habitat" meant rapeing the forest of any good saw logs and planting bushes that choked out anything of value. Maybe they (PAGC) are finally headed in the right direction. Alt is gone from PA. Good riddance.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

You do know that many bushes have more food value to deer than trees. The problem is many hunters wouldn't know good deer habitat if they fell face first into it. I hear people complaining about logging and drilling destroying the habitat. The opposite is true, that land will regenerate into good deer food areas.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You do know that many bushes have more food value to deer than trees. The problem is many hunters wouldn't know good deer habitat if they fell face first into it. I hear people complaining about logging and drilling destroying the habitat. The opposite is true, that land will regenerate into good deer food areas.
You will never hear me complain about logging. BUT! The drilling going on in our GREAT STATE is a spike in my eye. Even tho its regenerating the good habitat that it destroyed. ITS A GIANT CLUSTER F*&^!! and money grab for the Harrisburg HACKS/GASMEN!!!!

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.