Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Need your opinion' s on this NY lease >

Need your opinion' s on this NY lease

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Need your opinion' s on this NY lease

Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 AM
jf5

Default Need your opinion' s on this NY lease

Hi Guys, I have never leased land for hunts before. Whats your opinion on this??

150 acres in Columbia County NY. (about 3 hours from my home) Price for 2 of us is $1,600. Land is open for deer hunting all NY seasons. We would have to " share" the acreage with 4 other guys, with 3 of them being gun hunters only. (one bowhunter) Land is claimed to be managed for deer. 14 hunters took 11 bucks last year, and 9 does. Per the owner, the deer are " thick as mosquitos"

I am heading out this sunday to check this out as I know you have to see what your getting. But some opinions would be nice.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2003, 02:51 PM

Default RE: Need your opinion' s on this NY lease

I wouldn' t pay $800 to share only 150 acres with 4 other hunters 3 hours from home.
Good luck.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:13 PM
jf5

6pt. Thanks for the input. That was part of the surprise for me. I felt it was alot of cash without exclusive rights to the land, but I don' t know what to compare it too. I have had one gent contact me with a better offer. We' ll see what happens.

Still looking for more opionions if y' all are willing. What is the going rate for these kind of things in NY state less than 1 hour from MA border??
Old 09-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

NO Way![:' (] To many per acre and to many buck killed and not enough doe killed last year. Doesn' t sound right to me. But more than that, way to much money! I lease 50acres in NY for 500.00 That or a bit more is normal for around Steuben Co. If it were me I wouldn' t do it just because other people you don' t even know are hunting it. Sounds like state land to me. Good luck with what ever you choose!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

12 of us lease 600 acres in steuben co. for $3500 that is for the whole year any acsess we want a pole barn to store our 4 wheelers and a house with electic,and heat.Now if I could only get the other members to practice a littleQDM it would be perfect
Old 09-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Beware--sounds very pricy for the amount of acreage and number of guys. Is everyone paying $800 or just you and your buddy? Our club in NJ is currently at $750 and included pheasant/chukar stocking, turkey and small game, and lots of deerr hunting. We have about 265 acres. Although real pricey b/c the landowner doubled our lease, this is NJ and one must pay to hunt quality land.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Whereabouts in columbia county?

I think I would steer clear. There seems to be a lot of yahoos here.

I got permission to hunt a farm in Chatham last year and the year before, spent all day watching other " hunters" tearing through on 4 wheelers and then wondering why there were so few deer taken.

Some of these guys were trespassing, but couldn' t be caught.

So even if you were paying for " exclusive rights" you wouldn' t have them anyhow.

Good luck.

I just noticed that you were going Sunday, and today is Sunday. So......how did it look??

I' m in Claverack by the way.

Darrin
Old 09-22-2003, 08:04 AM

That' s pretty high for that many guys. I know it is a pain to make the drive, I' m in Waltham so I know your ride, but we find the farm' s taxes for a year is a good guide to consider when looking to lock up land. My suggestion for next year, head out next year right before turkey season and try and line up property for the year in that part of NY. They have typically just paid their taxes and you can secure turkey and deer rights .. usually for a lot less. Plus you' ll be talking to people who weren' t actively looking to lease their land.

The " going" rate for shared land like you' re looking at is $400 - $600 a person per season. Great area to hunt though.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:44 AM
jf5

Thanks guys for the input. I cancelled the appointment, so I never check it out. I just felt it was too expensive.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:41 PM

JF5,

I JUST SENT YOU AN EMAIL, IT MAY BE A GOOD ALTERNATIVE

GOOD LUCK
MIKE

Quick Reply: Need your opinion' s on this NY lease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.