Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WOLVES IN VERMONT!?!?! >

WOLVES IN VERMONT!?!?!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WOLVES IN VERMONT!?!?!

Old 09-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default WOLVES IN VERMONT!?!?!

news flash, straight from my dad. while he was at work, a woman that he works with said that her husband over the weekend had heard of a moose being hit in greensboro. he drove over there to see if he could get it. when he got there, only an officer was present. the cop said that no, no moose had been hit, but that a wolf had. the man then asked to see it, but was told that someone else had just stopped, and the cop had given it to him. the man was going to have it mounted. this will be interesting in the long run, because the state says that we don' t have any wolves here, yet if this is a true story, how will they refute this one?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WOLVES IN VERMONT!?!?!

i have heard similar stories in maine but it usually turns out to be a hybrid pet or something like that. i believe a guy shot what he thought was a wolf and was fined for killing and endangered animal only to find out it wasnt pure wolf. this was told to me by my bear guide a couple years back.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

a friend of mine in maine was coyote hunting with a friend, and they did shoot a wolf there. called the warden, he showed up, asked who knew about it, told them to get out of the area and not tell anyone els. warden was a friend of the guy i know, so they got lucky. this happened close to big woods area, so it could be true.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

whoops, the vermont incident happened near big woods, wolf could have nbeen traveling by. maine was in big woods.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:38 AM

Yup Maine has wolves, I' ve even seen and heard ' em. Game wardens actually shot one a few weeks ago (but it was kept hush hush). They exist here and so do mountain lions, although " officially" they don' t exist. There is also some sort of unidentified canid about mid-size between a wolf and coyote (possibly hybrids). And recently they just discovered bobcat/lynx hybrids as well (posted a thread in this forum with a link). It wouldn' t be surprising if Vermont had a pack or two of wolves around, it is definitely possible.