Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Vermont Hunters.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Vermont Hunters.

Just thinking about going on a Moose hunt next year in Vermont. My wife has got alot of family up there and they have invited me to go on a Moose hunt with them. I have always thought about going up there to try and get me one of those big critters, but have yet to do so.

Just wandering how much an Out Of State Tag is going to cost me for Moose and Deer, and what the turn out on these guys are.(if it is worth the money)

I have never eaten any of the meat, and I would like to know what it taste like. I have a place to stay while I am there so those fee's for the motel wont be included in on my bill.

I currently live in New Mexico and am an advid Elk and Mulie hunter.( LOVE it )
But have alway thought that I need to get me a moose to go on my wall.
Beautiful mounts from what I have seen of them.

So any insite into this would be mighty helpful.

Thanks.
hunter338
Old 06-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Vermont Hunters.

Last I knew it was a lottery system, so you have to be drawn before you can buy a tag. Out of state will cost more than a resident of course, don't know how much. Moose is great eating.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Going to vermont to see family is one thing, trying to draw a Moose permit in Vermont, Maine, or New Hampshire is another. You've got a better chance of striking the million dollar lottery.

Best advice I can give for what it's worth, better look into all of the application deadlines and start applying now, you might get lucky enough to draw a tag in oh about 20 or so years.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:49 PM

I dont know about Maine or New Hampshire, but the odds of drawing a nonresident moose tag in Vermont is 1:16, I think the odds of hitting the lottery is 1:47,000,000. For the 2004 season, they doubled the number of tags that will be avalible to the hunters. So actually your chances of drawing a moose tag as a nonresident is pretty good, especailly when you compare it to other states. Vermont dosent have a point system, so you have the same chance of drawing each year you apply. Vermont is probably the easiest state for nonresidents to draw a moose permit in.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Hell if I would have known that the odds were that good for me to draw I would have put in for it years ago!!

No just joking..

Is it really that hard to draw-out on a moose hunt in Vermont?
You know living where I do I have heard that drawing out for a Elk tag is super hard too.
I have drawn every year that I have put in for it, here in N.M.

I guess Im just lucky. Put in for Oryx the first time and got drawn for it. ( A nice bull. he was 40 & 3/4 on one side and 41 on the other.

I have never been one to bet on the odds. Just post your bet type of guy. if I hit then that is fine, and if I dont than I guess that that is fine also.

I do thank you guys for your post . I guess I will figure on putting in for this pertic. critter for a while.

Thank you.
hunter338
Old 06-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

VT has 880 tags available in 2004. I think 10% are for non-residents. Even residents have a hard time drawing as there are ususally over 8,000 applications. 2003 there were only 440 tags. Moose are begining to become a problem with moose/auto encounters so F&W decided to increase the tags. The largest population and the largest amount of tags is in the north east part of the state, better known as the North East Kingdom.

Some tags are for either sex, while others are for "antlerless" which means any cow, calf, or a male with antlers of 6" or less. Moose meat is very good. It's right up there with elk and caribou. If you draw a tag, it's free. All you need to purchase is a Non-Res hunting license which I think is around $85. F&W is also going to have 5 tags available for an auction. Not sure if this will start in 2004 or 2005. This is to raise money for F&W. They expect each tag to go for about $5,000 each.

We do have some great racks here in VT. Every year there are moose taken with spreads in the lower to mid 60" range. Body size between 800lbs and 1,000lbs are common for a mature bull. Mature cows range from 500lbs to 700lbs. Seems like it's harder to draw a tag than kill a moose here.

I think apps need to be in pretty soon. If you are going to apply, better get to it. The apps are available on the F&W website. Good luck on the draw.

Oh, your $85 hunting license includes a buck tag for rifle season and a bear tag. Deer Rifle season usually starts the second Sat in Nov and ends the Sun after Thanksgiving (16 consecutive days). Bear season starts Sept 1st and ends the first Wed of the deer rifle season. Moose season is now 6 days (up from 4 days) and is around the 3rd week in Oct this year. Look and the F&W website for exact dates.

. . . Rob