Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD state land

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wv4ever
Wish it were so that not many deer are hit in the road in western md. I have hit several and had many near misses. The roadside ditches tell the story.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Same in MoCo. Severly overpopolated and not many hunters or places to hunt. Lots on the side of the road starting about a week ago.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Montgomery county, and the reason in my opinion there are so many big bucks as well as deer in general is these two main reasons (not the only factors, but the two biggest ones in my opinion.)
1. Very few people hunt in moco, and those who do have a very restricted area in which they can. The majority of moco is now built up and not only unsafe to hunt, but pretty much impossible. Also, areas that have managed hunts, those hunters are pretty much told to take only does, because otherwise the population will just keep going up.

2. The quality of habitat has in many cases actually been enhanced for deer in moco, even though much of the original forest cover is gone. Azaleas and high grade corn now replace many areas of forest, which in turn actually allows the deer to become healthier. Downside to this, it causes many deer to bunch up, and spread disease.

You rarely see deer hit by cars in western maryland. I see it all the time still in moco. I still get 20+ deer herds in the winter in my backyard. I find every year 10 12 14 even the occasional 18 point deer that died from old age during the spring or winter. You don't find that in western maryland, because the few deer that survive to be that age live in very rugged areas, and know how to stay hidden. They are out there, and I have seen them. However, you won't find them on the scale you see in the more populated agricultural areas. It also depends on the genetics. Two subspecies of deer were used to repopulate maryland, one was the much bigger northern subspecies, the other was a more southern and average size. Deer who get real big racks probably have more of the northern subspecies genetics than the southern ones. Deer in moco have a much smaller range, for as you mentioned the easy availability of does, as well as the fact that the quality of habitat is better. You don't see the crazy mast cycles for the most part in moco that you do in other areas of the state, it is either average or extremely good. The fact too that there are an abundance of gardens and lawns doesn't hurt either.
Sean_Paul, that is a very interesting take on the MoCo deer situation and I tend to agree with you. I never knew the history behind the repopulation of deer in the area. Wow! That explains the monsters roaming in MoCo. I have a buddy who lives up against Northwest branch and some of the bucks coming into his backyard over the years are no less the monarchs you see on cover of Field and Stream. No joke. It is also the typical MoCo area that isn't open to hunting, go figure.

Now, over the last few years in the gaithersburg area where I hunt, we rarely see any shooter bucks. I equate that to the overpopulation of does. There are just too many of them for the bucks to have to really roam to mate. I know they are holed up in remote areas along 270 and whatnot, and will not stray very far during the rut. Kind of sucks.

I"ve tried everything, scents, calls, you name it. I also used to hunt near the Rockville quarry before they built it all up with McMansions. The bucks there were HUGE!! I've never seen bigger bucks while hunting then when I hunted there. I miss that place something awful.

The sniper hunts aren't helping the hunters in central MD either. They took a lot last year the lack of deer sightings are proving it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

we hunt in harford county on private land close to the pa md line ive seen some nice bucks there this is the first year we hunted there we lost our place in baltimore county that place had so many deer it was crazy
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chazspot
Sean_Paul, that is a very interesting take on the MoCo deer situation and I tend to agree with you. I never knew the history behind the repopulation of deer in the area. Wow! That explains the monsters roaming in MoCo. I have a buddy who lives up against Northwest branch and some of the bucks coming into his backyard over the years are no less the monarchs you see on cover of Field and Stream. No joke. It is also the typical MoCo area that isn't open to hunting, go figure.

Now, over the last few years in the gaithersburg area where I hunt, we rarely see any shooter bucks. I equate that to the overpopulation of does. There are just too many of them for the bucks to have to really roam to mate. I know they are holed up in remote areas along 270 and whatnot, and will not stray very far during the rut. Kind of sucks.

I"ve tried everything, scents, calls, you name it. I also used to hunt near the Rockville quarry before they built it all up with McMansions. The bucks there were HUGE!! I've never seen bigger bucks while hunting then when I hunted there. I miss that place something awful.

The sniper hunts aren't helping the hunters in central MD either. They took a lot last year the lack of deer sightings are proving it.
Across the street from me there is a small scale managed hunt that is done each year. The head of it all told me that you can have 100 does, and 1 buck, and that buck probably will attempt to mate with those 100 does. This is the reason does are targeted so heavily in managed hunts. Where I am, because of this small scale managed hunt, I see a lot more bucks than I used to, because the gender ratio is more even than it once was.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that is interesting. Hunted in MoCo yesterday and saw many bucks cruising and chasing. It was a good sign and a complete reversal in numbers from what I saw earlier in the season.

I would hope they really target the does in these managed hunts. I wonder if they mandate does only, not sure. It would make sense. For example, I believe a sniper event is taking place in Rock Creek park this year or next. Some of the bucks there are huge monsters. Do they kill indiscriminately and shoot them all? I would think so.