Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 1st season hunting in NJ!! >

1st season hunting in NJ!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

1st season hunting in NJ!!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default 1st season hunting in NJ!!

I am very excited as this is my first year hunting in NJ (NY transplant).

I will probably hunt state land this year, as I try to work my way into some private access.

What do you NJ guys think of TURKEY SWAMP State Park?During bow? During gun?
Is it hit hard? How is the deer hunting? etc..

Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1st season hunting in NJ!!

Catskill,
Did you buy a license in NJ yet? Lived here all my life yet never hunted here, have always gone to New York(got some private land there). Does Jersey accept out of state licenses or hunter education for a shotgun license? Curious as the literature seems to imply that they won' t accept anything but there own hunter safety stuff since they break it down in to shotgun, bow, and MZL , whereas everyone else just goes general firearm or bow. Thanks in advance, would like to know and would like to here how it goes in Turkey Swamp.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

NEW JERSEY WILL ACCEPT YOUR OUT OF STATE LICENSE OR HUNTER EDUCATION TO PURCHASE YOUR NJ LICENSE, AND LAST I KNEW PEOPLE FROM STATES THAT HAVE RIFLE HUNTING YOU DON' T NEED TO TAKE THE MUZZLELOADER TEST.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

NYORANGE

I just went to the local sporting good store, showed them my tags from NY and got my bow and shotgun tags for regular season. Then you have to buy your permits seperately (which stinks).

I can' t wait to give NJ a try.

I still hunt NY too with both gun and bow, but I figured the extra 2 months of hunting down here (Sept & Jan) will help me tune up my skills and give me more time afield. Plus it won' t cost me anything, as far as travel, room & board, food etc...
Old 08-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

they actually have a free bow range at turkey swamp. the people over the years i knew who hunted there basically said its o.k. nothing great. shouldnt have too much pressure early in the bow season so if you can get out and scout and bait a little if you like you should be good to go. the gun season is pretty whacky in this state because of all the clubs and organized drives they put on. i dont think they plant any feed fields for the deer in turkey swamp.you mite wanna check out assunpink or colliers mills which is near there. they plant feed at those state game land areas and you mite see more action although a little crowded in the gun season and wouldnt go near there in the pheasant season. welcome to NEW JERSEY
Old 09-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck catskill!!! this will probably be your last year in nj as well.. jk. there are a bunch of deer. just shoot straight. and talkin about those permits (WELCOME TO NJ)!!!