Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Help with NJ/PA rifle laws >

Help with NJ/PA rifle laws

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Help with NJ/PA rifle laws

Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Spike

Default Help with NJ/PA rifle laws

just curious if you guys might be able to help me out. i currently live in tx where i can hunt with almost anything. but thinking of moving back to NJ. was never into hunting when i lived in NJ the first time. i've been looking on the NJ state website and can't really find what i'm looking for, maybe i'm just looking in the wrong spot. i'm just trying to find out what type of rifle you can hunt with. i'm planing on getting a 30.06, but if i can't use it in NJ or PA then i might just skip it and get a muzzleloader, but i'm hoping i can use the 30.06 thanks in advance guys, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No center fire rifles allowed in New Jersey, only muzzleloaders and shotguns. If hunting deer in NJ with either you must have either rifle sights, peep sights or scope. Where about in NJ are you moving too? I'm in Warren County, 5 mins from PA
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

centerfires are allowed in most of PA but not all. If u can only get one rifle i think your best bet would be an inline muzzleloader. then ull be legal everywhere u want to be and u would even be able to hunt the PA three day antlerless muzzleloader season on top of the rifle season. Plus the inline muzzleloaders are incredible anymore theyll bust deer at 150 yds and they are pretty damn accurate to say the least. i own two i shoot them just as good as any of my centerfires at a hundred yards
Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Spike

Agree with earlier posts. A good inline would be the best best. Moved to NJ 20 years ago and made the mistake of marrying a Jersey girl; now stranded for life Most deer shots are under 150 yards anyway. If you can afford it a good slug gun like an H & R would work well in NJ. I've become a firm believer that, under 100 yards, nothing will take a deer down quicker than a shotgun slug.

Another note: In case you didn't see it in the regulations you will need to get a firearms carrying permit from the police that you will have to have in your possession when you're hunting, shooting, transporting, or buying ammunition.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

thanks guys for all the info, you've been a great help. i prefer to hunt with the bow so that will be what i use the majority of the time, but firearms are really starting to get my interest(this might now be a good thing)

bowhuntercop- i was station at mcguire, so if/when we move back it'll be around that area or maybe somewhere on the PA side within about 45-60 min of the base and the cherry hill area funny thing is when were in in nj we couldn't wait to leave, now that we have been gone about 2 years, we are SERIOUSLY considering going back

sutton/tankercheif- hope this doesn't sound stupid(just keep in mind i know very little about rifles, learning lots each day), but is there a difference in regular modern muzzleloader vs an inline muzzleloader. i know tc,traditions,cva, etc all make muzzleloaders, is there one company better than the other or is it the same ol ford vs chevy battle. anything special i should be looking for good or bad

i was aware you need the card for ammo, at leasts that the guy at dicks sporting goods in burlington said when i was there looking to get ammo when my buddy and i went to a range out by assinpink lake.

once again thanks guys for you very helpful info, it's been greatly appreciate
Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Unfortunately, you have moved to a firearms unfriendly state, "The People's Republic of NJ".

They have several strange laws which you better know in advance. Some involve ammo and others the firearms. Over here in PA, most of the southeastern part of the state below Rt. 81, requires the use of shotguns or muzzleloaders. In other areas, rifles and handgun hunting are permitted. I used a Savage 210F which is about a dozen years old now. Have taken many deer out to 150 yards. I was never happier with a purchase. The newer model, 212 is probably better. The 220 is the 20 gauge version.

PA game laws can be found at:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2

That will take you right to the regs.

Been to Maguire many times. (E-7, retired)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

three basic types of muzzleloaders - inline-percussion-flintlock if u use a bow then ur best bet is to get an inline they are the most accurate and u can put a scope on them. as in brand the first one i ever bought was just a cheap cva that can in a plastic box on the shelf. it never did me wrong i killed alot of deer with it. then i went out and bought a tc encore. I love it its so much easier to load the primer and to clean. i would have to say the tc is a little more accurate but not much. i doubt ull ever have a shot over a hundred yards in nj or PA. the decision of which to buy depends on what u want to spend u get more for ur buck but the cheap ones will do the trick for ur first muzzleloader. u need to go and look at them and find one u like and then figure out which sabbot and powder combination works best for u and ur setup. just dont get hooked up muzzleloaders lol i own 2 inlines 2 flintlocks and 1 percussion rifle and one percussion pistol. if u need any help with anything ill do my best to help u out just message me or whatever