Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Very disapointing >

Very disapointing

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Very disapointing

Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Wow realy sucks , Hope it doesnt flow into NY ...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW !! SORRY!!! Hpoe it stays out of PA and NY !!!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude sorry to hear that my property in SE. OH. got hit hard in 2007, we still had deer dying from it in front of in gun season in Dec. We are still just getting back to normal.
It was the perfect storm, Terrrible drought and the first frost didnt happen until early Nov. Pike
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I live and hunt just across the river in PA and as yet I haven't seen any evidence of EHD in our area and I haven't heard of any reports of EHD from the guys I know that hunt NJ. I checked the NJ DEP website and there were no reports of EHD in NJ in 2011.
If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to report your findings to the DEP.
Bluebird just be glad we got plenty of rain in the northeast and this outbreak didnt spread YET!!! Also pray that we get an early frost to limit the amount of deer being infected.
Also deer die from Blue tongue (EHD) each and every year in PA., NJ., OH.,MD. and WV., its just that most years it isnt that many of them to mention or worry about. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

My area got hit with blue tongue 4 years ago right before the hunting season. Killed probably 80% of the deer in a 5 square mile area near Middleway.

Truth be told, the deer herd was way to big in the area, as there used to be herds of 20 deer in my backyard, running through the neighborhood.

There were still enough deer around the next year that I was able to harvest one in the woods behind my house, and the herd, through natural growth ad osmisis, has returned to a good healthy level.

As much as it sucks, it seems blue tongue is natures way of saying, 'the deer herd is more than the land can handle'.

This year may be a bust, but next year there will be good deer once again.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im in the Oldwick/Lebanon/Annandale region of Hunterdon county, just east of Round Valley Reservoir. PLanning on hunting my backyard....this is the first I've heard of blue tongue here, I've seen lots of deer grazing on farmland...and the little stinkers are stripping the lower leaves off my cherry trees standing on their hind legs. The Rockaway creek is clear....I've not seen a carcass around here so maybe i'm clear this season. I used to work down in Hopewell...tough luck down there with that outbreak. Hope it clears up soon....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
Bluebird just be glad we got plenty of rain in the northeast and this outbreak didnt spread YET!!! Also pray that we get an early frost to limit the amount of deer being infected.
Also deer die from Blue tongue (EHD) each and every year in PA., NJ., OH.,MD. and WV., its just that most years it isnt that many of them to mention or worry about. Pike

Personally, I think the 117,000 doe tags( 125 tags/forested SM.) allocated for 5C are a much greater threat to the future of our herd than EHD will ever be. Remember the PGC goal for 5C was only 6 DPSM and the only thing that is preventing that goal is posted ground ,safety zones and municipalities where no firearms hunting is permitted.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Spike

I was just forwarded this from the president of one of the clubs I hunt. I was unaware of the problem.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2011/11_0103.htm
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been confirmed by NJF&G, parts of Hunterdon, Mercer, Morris Counties have been hit
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Personally, I think the 117,000 doe tags( 125 tags/forested SM.) allocated for 5C are a much greater threat to the future of our herd than EHD will ever be. Remember the PGC goal for 5C was only 6 DPSM and the only thing that is preventing that goal is posted ground ,safety zones and municipalities where no firearms hunting is permitted.
Whats the amount of doe tags in PA. (which I agree with your entire post by the way) have to do with you doubting that EHD. was infecting and killing deer in the author of this threads area?
I was just pointing out to you that EHD. kills deer in PA., NJ. and other bordering states every year. Pike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.