Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Hunting

Old 08-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pa Hunting

I have the chance to do some hunting this year and maybe more to com eup in Pa. I have never hunted in Pa before and was wondering what to expect. Such as weather, when the rut usually runs and such. I have acess to a couple of hundred acres in the Doylesburg area of the state. Can anyone tell me who this area hols up as far as deer hunting? Is it poor, so so , good, awsome? lol does it have a rep for a lot of good bucks or just average.. Any help would be great. I am from Va. I might even be interested in trading a hunt down here for a hunt somewhere up there. Just a thought... thanks for any advice for the region..
Old 08-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Pa Hunting

Need a little more information first. What season are you looking to hunt? If it' s rifle, you don' t need to worry about the rut, it' s over. The rut normally is best the last part of October, which is normally the last couple of weeks of bow. Weather, again depends on when you are hunting, but the rifle season is normally in th 40' s at mid day. A couple of years ago you could hunt in short sleeves in the middle of December. I' m located about an hour west of Doylesburg so I can' t speak entirely for that area. In general PA is not know for their trophies but for the amount of deer that the state holds. They did go to antler restrictions this past year which require three points on one side with some areas requiring four. (western part of the state.) Every year there are plenty of trophies killed, but if I was looking for a trophy, I would have left a long time ago! Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I am looking mainly to bow hunt this year. So I should fall into the first part of the rut correct? I will probably spend decemeber down here hunting a few of my honey holes. Thanks for the info..if anyone else has any feel free to let me know.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 PM

Things usually heat up for me near the end of October, and archery ends just a little too early. This year should be a pretty good rut. About your area, I am not sure about it at all. But remember it is PA, there can' t be too many big bucks
Old 08-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Archery season in PA runs from 10-04-03 to 11-15-03 this year. I' ve had my best " rut luck" in the first week of Nov. but I' m in the western part of the state and have no clue were Doyleburg is!

Here' s a link to the Pennsylvania Game Commision....you should be able to gain some general info there as well.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/