Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Lots of PA deer and a Bear >

Lots of PA deer and a Bear

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Lots of PA deer and a Bear

Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Lots of PA deer and a Bear

just got home today from camp at Beech Creek , saw sveral deer . a black bear near the mountain road, saw 2 porcupines and some grouse. lots of young deer, it looks promising at camp this year, what a joy to ride around and see that much game.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Lots of PA deer and a Bear

im hoping to get out and bear hunt this year i would love to get a bear, in Pa ur not allowed to bait or nething so u pretty much have to walk around and hope u get lucky enough to see one.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:06 PM

not sure if you' ve ever tried this .. but last year we called in a huge bear while spring turkey hunting, by accident of course! Not sure if it is legal in PA but you could try a fawn in distress call or turkey sounds to try and lure 1 in. I know a guy who is successful in NH doing this but haven' t tried it myself.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Calls are illegal in pa ..Bill
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone once told me the way to get a bear is to go fire up your grill , cookj yourself a steak and sit there and enjoy it, that is not baiting that is eating lunch. Never tried it, I just sit and eat my sardines...
Old 08-07-2003, 07:07 AM

Hey RonM. I was up towards Beech Creek a few weeks back and I saw many critters too. Rattlesnake, black snake, HUGE buck, tons of does, a porcupine, a gray fox ran across the road, there was a bear at the feeder (not for baiting), and a bear cub ran off the road when we were coming home. I too wish I could see that much wildlife everytime I rode around. [:-]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been seen quite a few bucks this year...and fewer does in general...though there seems to be quite a few fawns in comparison to the number of does. Hopefully I can get some pics and post them on here.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow them are some good reports...all i do it work anymore....havent gotten to the mountains since trout season!!!!maybe this weekend...i doubt it but im off sat at 9...so maybe.....ive heard on another board about the deer population is terrible this year and theres barely any bucks.....but i dont like that message board too much.....i go tehre for PA questions i ahve and thats about it.....glad to hear thats not how it really is......they hate the idea of all this new deer hunting and are probally just saying that to blam ARs ect.....all the bucks we passed last year grew to be bigger.....i bet there are more nice bucks taken this year then in previous years...indtead of driving down the road alot of camps are on and seeing spikes and 4pts and such you just might see more decint bucks....maybe not HUGE but an improvment......i cant wait to see the results in a few years if we keep them and we all do our honest part......
Old 08-10-2003, 06:30 AM

I went to my camp in Warren County last weekend and saw 6 different bucks while cruising around at dusk including one monster with a massive rack. I met a game warden up there last month and he told me it should be a good year to bear hunt because they think its going to be a bumper crop for acorns this year.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:25 PM

Good luck getting a bear, I understand it is pretty tough.