Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA mountain lions (govt. putting them in) (lime disease) >

PA mountain lions (govt. putting them in) (lime disease)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA mountain lions (govt. putting them in) (lime disease)

Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default PA mountain lions (govt. putting them in) (lime disease)

i was wondering how many of the guys that hunt in Nw PA and NC PA and have seen mountain lions. i saw one when i was 12 fishing with my friend on oil creek. Also if any of you know of limes disease, since they cannot find a cure, there plan to help get rid of it was to destroy deer populations, which i think may be part of how many doe tags are being sold. Also to help get rid of deer populations to get rid of limes disease, do you think that may be why they supposedly put mountain lions in?
any body that hunts northern knows that the deer population is suffering very bad.
( i just had to bring in Limes Disease into it because my mother passed from it a couple months ago, and me and my dad are doing some research about it and deer populations, etc.)

i do think everyone who hunts should be very weary of ticks on them, be sure to check yourself right when you get out of the woods everytime.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default extinct

Huntingkidpa....

Hey you DO know that the Eastern Mountain Lion is now extict right? Govmt took them off the "endagered species list" and said they no longer exsist! LOL I just cant wait to tell that to the 2 we have roaming our hunting area in SE Virginia.

Alittle story for ya.... they don't exsist right? so they don't have a season right? and if they don't exsist and dont have a season why cant you shoot them? But it was a few years (10 or so) ago that a local near our property finally got a shot at the one that was eating his livestock. Killed it clean and just left it where he got it in the woods. A few days later there were hords of Game & Inland Fisheries people roaming all over his property, knocked on his door and asked where the mountain lion was. Well he showed them cause he just killed it like he would of anyother predator harming his cattle. Well seemed that even though they don't exsist, the DGIF planted the lions in the area with tracking devices on them, and once the body temp went below a certain temp (dead) the xmttr would shut off, clueing the DGIF that the cat was either killed or died and they would come lookin... dunno if theres a moral to the story... but its a story nevertheless.

Cheers....
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again stories without the first bit of any type of evidence other then hearsay.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Once again stories without the first bit of any type of evidence other then hearsay.
Dude, Really???? it was just that... a story... no factual evidence was presented, quoted or stated...

The part about the eastern mountain lion going on the extinct list... well thats a fact.
http://www.allaboutwildlife.com/amer...d-extinct/5740
Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where is the PGC getting the cats you claim they are stocking? What western state is trapping cougars and selling them to other states that need to reduce their deer herd?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

yet no pic
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

yet no pic
Yes that is the funny thing about these mountain lion threads. 100% of them result in NO pics or facts. hmmmmmmmm wonder why.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

I read a similar article in the May edition of Fur Fish and Game. And like it said if they exist a self-sustaining population of wild cougars would leave signs; tracks would be found in snow every winter; images would be captured by the hundreds of thousands of trail cameras that now dot eastern forests; a few would get hit by cars. Ones that escape from captivity are possible. But with out proof its all speculation.
As far as lymes goes I can't see elimination of deer solving that problem. Not just deer ticks carry the disease, and there are plenty more hosts for the ticks other than deer. Btw I had lymes 2x in the last 5 years. Its not nice they always go for the groin area.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Zrabfan26
I Not just deer ticks carry the disease, and there are plenty more hosts for the ticks other than deer. Btw I had lymes 2x in the last 5 years. Its not nice they always go for the groin area.
Deer are primary spreaders of lymes disease,
not all ticks carrying the virus have lymes disease,
for lymes disease to occur,
tick must travel from rodent, to deer, and virus in the 2 bloods must mix,
combination of the 2 is what helps lymes disease develope,
a tick that doesnt travel to both, say from it travels from rodent to cattle, does not develope lymes disease,
so reducing deer pops, does reduce amount of ticks carrying lymes disease
Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Huntingkidpa....

Hey you DO know that the Eastern Mountain Lion is now extict right? Govmt took them off the "endagered species list" and said they no longer exsist! LOL I just cant wait to tell that to the 2 we have roaming our hunting area in SE Virginia.

Alittle story for ya.... they don't exsist right? so they don't have a season right? and if they don't exsist and dont have a season why cant you shoot them? But it was a few years (10 or so) ago that a local near our property finally got a shot at the one that was eating his livestock. Killed it clean and just left it where he got it in the woods. A few days later there were hords of Game & Inland Fisheries people roaming all over his property, knocked on his door and asked where the mountain lion was. Well he showed them cause he just killed it like he would of anyother predator harming his cattle. Well seemed that even though they don't exsist, the DGIF planted the lions in the area with tracking devices on them, and once the body temp went below a certain temp (dead) the xmttr would shut off, clueing the DGIF that the cat was either killed or died and they would come lookin... dunno if theres a moral to the story... but its a story nevertheless.

Cheers....
Its not because the body temp drops, its because its not moving anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.