Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Truth on deer in pa. >

Truth on deer in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Truth on deer in pa.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

1.mentoured kids rule is way for dad to fill his freezer
This is ridiculous. I enjoy all the time my 8 year old and I spend in the woods and I would never use his tag for my own benefit. I want him to have the experience and I would rather him shoot any deer than me shooting a booner or a 300lb freezer-filler.

I spent every weekend of this deer season in the woods with him. That includes archery, rifle and late season. He did not get one this year so neither did I.

Last year he got a spike and that was our meat as a family.

Any guy that would take away his kid's opportunity to be a successful hunter so they could shoot a deer themselves for meat is a scum-bag anyway. And a guy like that would probably poach a deer or use a wife tag anyway.

Mentored youth is the best thing the PGC has done in my lifetime.

My dad is 80 years old. When his grandson got his first buck it moved him to tears. Before the mentored youth program, he use to always say that nothing would please him more than to see his grandson get his first buck, but he would probably never live that long. Well, his dream (and mine) came true.

I would not trade that for all the extra doe in 2G you could truck in. Sometimes you got to think about the good of the next generation. I can't wait to take my boy turkey hunting this spring.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

^^ I agree the mentor program is great for ppl that treat it like it is intended. But I gotta agree with Sproul that many are not. Maybe they'd be the same ppl shooting multiple deer anyway, but the mentor program makes it a lot easier.
-Jake
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
^^ I agree the mentor program is great for ppl that treat it like it is intended. But I gotta agree with Sproul that many are not. Maybe they'd be the same ppl shooting multiple deer anyway, but the mentor program makes it a lot easier.
-Jake
sadly the ones like above THAT GO BY RULES TAKE IT ON CHIN.i wish i could say it was just handful of adults doing this illegal with kids but when you hear butcher shop say that over 50% of kids that came in with buck DID NOT EVEN KNOW GUN THEY USED .
i know many that are doing it but catching them you wont.i very seldom see a kid under 12 in woods with his dad.then you see 5 yr old girls in pink with sneakers on with 8 point buck.
same with turkeys, if you think those kids are in woods shooting those birds, no way.i did see 1 kid sitting in truck while his dad shot his turkey. kid had radio turned on.radios are big thing now.

yes some do as guy above. i bet he gets mad when he reads that this is happening.hey I AM MAD TOO BECAUSE ITS HAPPENING A LOT.
guess what when i catch one doing it i will be TERD FOR REPORTING IT.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many guys use their wife's tags? Or brother's or non-hunting friend's? Whether it's mentored youth or not, guys can take advantage.

If the deer hunting is so bad now, how are guys shooting multiple deer anyway? And mentored youth can only shoot bucks anyway. Are these low-life scumbags able to shoot multiple bucks a year with today's herd numbers?

Sure, there's going to be some abuse. But I'm sure there's also exageration.

By the way, my boy wears sneakers sometimes when he hunts. It's a pain to get the boots on. They never seem to fit. So, if it's 60 degrees out in October and we're just sitting in a ground blind for a couple hours, I'll let him wear his sneakers.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
How many guys use their wife's tags? Or brother's or non-hunting friend's? Whether it's mentored youth or not, guys can take advantage.

If the deer hunting is so bad now, how are guys shooting multiple deer anyway? And mentored youth can only shoot bucks anyway. Are these low-life scumbags able to shoot multiple bucks a year with today's herd numbers?

Sure, there's going to be some abuse. But I'm sure there's also exageration.

By the way, my boy wears sneakers sometimes when he hunts. It's a pain to get the boots on. They never seem to fit. So, if it's 60 degrees out in October and we're just sitting in a ground blind for a couple hours, I'll let him wear his sneakers.
yes, they are shooting 2 bucks.as for sneakers, most i saw were at 30 degrees not archery. almost all were gun season bucks not archery.
yes, abuse is bad.look at crews if they see buck, they shoot. no counting points. if kid 16 and under is along, just shoot.

WHAT IS KID LEARNING .
actually biggest abuse right now is crews with kids .we even have witnesses that seen it.1 kid was in truck with heater on, buck was shot by the adult and he called on radio the kid to meet him on trail to tag it.
many complaints from hunters with crews just SHOOTING.we even saw kid sawing the horns off with hacksaw because they were not even legal.

this was reported and nothing done.
here is another good one. i am out a lot.i have not seen 1 kid under 12 in woods,not 1.yet the butcher shop had a lot of spike bucks brought in shot by 5 to 12 year old kids.yet i see NONE in woods,not 1.

Last edited by sproulman; 03-07-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that's just plain pathetic. But I don't think the good guys should be punished because of the actions of some dumb-arse low-lives.

And who the heck leaves their little kid sitting in the truck while they go off hunting? Sounds like bad parenting.

WHAT IS KID LEARNING .
From the parents you talk about, the kid is just learning what they would learn from their parents in any of life's arenas.

From guys like me and my friends? They're learning about the woods, about hunting, about time with family, about tracking, about, sportsmanship. They're learning everything that we did, growing up as hunters and fishermen. Only they're learning it younger and growing up with it deeper in their roots.

The people who you talk about are going to raise the same classless hunters whether they start at 6, 12 or 20.

Maybe they should make the fines double for fraud involving the mentored youth program.

Do you think guys take double limits of fish when they have their kids with them on opening day of trout? We know the kids is off trying to catch salamanders while dad is loading two stringers. Yet, we don't want to outlaw kids fishing.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

we had school board meeting.i was surprised when i heard the senator say,PROBLEM WITH SCHOOL IS PARENTS AND KIDS THEY RAISE and send to school.he is right on. parents send these kids to school and they act just like them.took a lot of guts for senator to publicly say that .IT IS TRUTH but you cant tell parents that your kid as acting way you did growing up.they get mad and blame teacher.get teacher fired for saying,JOHNNY IS JUST LIKE YOU DAD.or MOM.
then you have kid like yours, good parents and good kid. GO BY RULES.you are in minority, for sure.

where does it get him,picked on at school by the bad ones.

butcher shop really shows what is happening.over 50% did not even know gun they used to shoot the buck.

then they grow up and get good jobs over kid like yours that is good kid.
you would not believe the kids in my area that got the BEST jobs and were never any good. they did drugs etc. yet good kids cant even get application.

this tells you that DRUGS are being used by people with influence in work place to hire their druggie buddies.

sorry i got off track.it just makes me mad what i see and hear .

then you are TERD if you report it and try to stop it .

Last edited by sproulman; 03-07-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

where does it get him,picked on at school by the bad ones.
Nah, my son is in 2nd grade and he's almost 5 feet tall and 105 pounds.

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 03-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.