Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Hunters, check this out... >

NY Hunters, check this out...

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Hunters, check this out...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default NY Hunters, check this out...

I know a lot of people check those hunting/fishing charts, best times, sun/moon charts, etc...etc... Some think they are useless, some swear by them.

I took the time to use my Garmin eTrex GPS with the coordinates of my sister and brother-in-law's farm (in area 7M, a little south of, and in between Syracuse and Utica), then I verified all the calculations with various sunrise/sunset websites, best time to hunt websites, compared to what the Garmin GPS said.

I created an Excel spreadsheet for the whole NY State deer season (gun) for the southern region, and typed in all the data. I did a quick "screen print" and saved it as a .jpg image. Feel free to use it, print it out, pass it around, ...whatever.

I am leaving this coming Thursday, the 18th, and will be hunting my sister & brother-in-law's 125 acre farm. I am so excited to finally be going back home to New York, for a few weeks!!

Last edited by ButchA; 11-16-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Spike

Good Luck. I'm heading up to my 150 acres on Friday morning.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I should mention that a friend of mine (another internet forum) started busting on me about the spreadsheet. He was laughing about the "Best Time" being at 5:00AM, 5:50AM, 6:41AM, etc... and yet sunrise isn't until about 7:10AM. He was saying, "Oh, so you're going to shoot a deer by flashlight, huh?"
Old 11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info its usueful and I am going home to NY too so I know the feeling. I will be hunting around Seneca Falls Ovid area. I played hockey in the Syracuse Utica area in High school.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

what determines an excellent day, instead of an average one?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
what determines an excellent day, instead of an average one?
Well, from what I have read in magazine articles, or heard some hunting pro on TV talk about... I think it has to do with the sun/moon phases or maybe weather patterns.

When the sunset and moonrise are almost at the same time (Full Moon), the deer are supposed to be incredibly active. It's why a lot of websites, articles, hunting/fishing charts all say "Excellent".

When the sunrise and moonrise are almost at the same time, (New Moon), the deer are again supposed to be incredibly active. It's why a lot of websites, articles, hunting/fishing charts all say "Excellent" again.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Spike

Thanks for the chart...Good luck this season!
Be Safe!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Well, from what I have read in magazine articles, or heard some hunting pro on TV talk about... I think it has to do with the sun/moon phases or maybe weather patterns.

When the sunset and moonrise are almost at the same time (Full Moon), the deer are supposed to be incredibly active. It's why a lot of websites, articles, hunting/fishing charts all say "Excellent".

When the sunrise and moonrise are almost at the same time, (New Moon), the deer are again supposed to be incredibly active. It's why a lot of websites, articles, hunting/fishing charts all say "Excellent" again.

I hope this is true, im going to be in the woods during the excellent time frames....thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Anytime back home in NY is better than down here in GA! Otsego County boy serving active duty USCG down here in GA and the sucky part is that while you lucky SOB's are hunting real deer tomorrow morning I will still be stuck chasing "German Shepards" with antlers tied to their heads for the next few weeks! LOL! Well best of luck to all of you tomorrow morning and I sure wish I could be home! Knock em down boys!

Mack
Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Otsdawa_Game_Hunter
I will still be stuck chasing "German Shepards" with antlers tied to their heads k
I thought that season was in the spring.

Good luck to all in the morning!

Be patient, shoot true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.