Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY wind directions. >

NY wind directions.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY wind directions.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY wind directions.

Since the season's started I've been seeing winds coming out of the North/NE FAR more than ever before.Unusual in the extreme in my area.Many of my old hot spots are toast and those I can use require a whole different approach to and from as a result.What are others experiencing?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, not sure why you think winds out of the north are unusual for NY in the fall. NY's dominate winds have always been n-nw. Ne is little unusual, but it happens as we've had a few NE storms this yr. I always have setups for whatever wind is blowing. This wk has been mainly N winds, and it brought in the needed cold. It got them moving in the morning for once.
What I can't stand is the swirling winds, which happens too much in my area becasue of the hills, and valleys. Then it gets tough!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt this has been by far the worst wind season yet even when it isn't gusting it is from weird directions which kills some stand locations
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

mostly northwest in Gainesville. Today it is northeast....hoping it will change.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default NW by far

Here in Clinton County its been mostly W/NW..
There were a few different days we had N/NE but it seamed weird , were usaualy getting hammered with snow when its blowing from that (N/NE) direction..
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Ah, not sure why you think winds out of the north are unusual for NY in the fall. NY's dominate winds have always been n-nw. Ne is little unusual, but it happens as we've had a few NE storms this yr. I always have setups for whatever wind is blowing. This wk has been mainly N winds, and it brought in the needed cold. It got them moving in the morning for once.
What I can't stand is the swirling winds, which happens too much in my area becasue of the hills, and valleys. Then it gets tough!
Maybe it has something to do with the topography of the land and/or relation to Oneida lake.Most often the wind had been West/SW on my property and close by where I do most of my deer hunting.I'm in Lyonsdale about midway between the Boonville,Port Leyden area at a little higher elevation.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

For the most part weather here in the Northeast is dictated out of the W/NW during this time of year. In the summer months more so out of the W/SW, unless a dome of high pressure backs in out of the North. This will tend to prevent any weather out of the South to make it this far North. If a weather system comes in from the East coast "Noreaster" you have a N/NE wind. Out of the South up the coast you have a W/SW wind. Watch the weather and plan accordingly. We have stands that are ideal for each possible weather pattern. But if you really don't want to have to worry about wind direction, build your stands higher so your scent blows in a higher wind colunm. Swirling winds tend to keep deer bedded down during the day anyways and are more likely to feed before light and after dark when the winds lie down and become more steady in one direction. Anticipating a deers travel pattern is all you can do and if your using scents to attract them try to set up cross wind and let the attractent blow down wind. With a N or S wind set up on a run that runs N & S and the same for E & W. Sometimes those cross wind runs have been the better producer for cruising bucks because they can cover more land mass in order to pick up the doe's scent during the rutting period.

My favorite time to hunt is when the wind gusts hard a few minutes and lies down and repeats. Best time to spot & stalk and you would be real surprised how easy it is to stalk a unknowing deer and how close you can actually get. Sometimes I do it just for fun with smaller deer that I don't have any intention of taking to see how close I can get. Keeps me sharp for when I really need it most!

Just my take on the whole thing and not to brag but I have shot a lot of deer in the 30 years I've been hunting understanding how to work the wind in my favor.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 11-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

ya 2 days this season i had the wind to hunt my good stand