HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY wind directions.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM
7MMXBOLT
Fork Horn

For the most part weather here in the Northeast is dictated out of the W/NW during this time of year. In the summer months more so out of the W/SW, unless a dome of high pressure backs in out of the North. This will tend to prevent any weather out of the South to make it this far North. If a weather system comes in from the East coast "Noreaster" you have a N/NE wind. Out of the South up the coast you have a W/SW wind. Watch the weather and plan accordingly. We have stands that are ideal for each possible weather pattern. But if you really don't want to have to worry about wind direction, build your stands higher so your scent blows in a higher wind colunm. Swirling winds tend to keep deer bedded down during the day anyways and are more likely to feed before light and after dark when the winds lie down and become more steady in one direction. Anticipating a deers travel pattern is all you can do and if your using scents to attract them try to set up cross wind and let the attractent blow down wind. With a N or S wind set up on a run that runs N & S and the same for E & W. Sometimes those cross wind runs have been the better producer for cruising bucks because they can cover more land mass in order to pick up the doe's scent during the rutting period.

My favorite time to hunt is when the wind gusts hard a few minutes and lies down and repeats. Best time to spot & stalk and you would be real surprised how easy it is to stalk a unknowing deer and how close you can actually get. Sometimes I do it just for fun with smaller deer that I don't have any intention of taking to see how close I can get. Keeps me sharp for when I really need it most!

Just my take on the whole thing and not to brag but I have shot a lot of deer in the 30 years I've been hunting understanding how to work the wind in my favor.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 11-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.