Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Ticks - important question >

Ticks - important question

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ticks - important question

Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ticks - important question

I was wondering if anyone knows when it is safe to assume that the major risk of ticks is gone? I hunt out in Eastern Long Island New York where deer often carry ticks that have lymes disease. It has been pretty warm so i was wondering if you still think there are lots of ticks out there. I use permanone spray and bunfdle up good to keep them away. How effective is that stuff? I have been using it for years but I normally do not hunt until it is a little colder so I dont know if it is teh spray or the weather that has kept them away. I am also bringing a buddy for the very first time and i dont want to risk getting him sick or ruining his first hunting experience.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ticks are more active in warmer weather. I just killed a buck in rockland co. last week, it was loaded with ticks, poor guy musta been miserable. I had them crawling all over me while i was skinning, and butchering him, fortunately none got on my long enough to dig in, tick bites are the worst!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Though ticks are less active during colder weather they still can be a threat. If you shoot a deer chances are they will have them on them. I use to hunt Westchester Co. for years and the only thing that works for ticks & chiggers is Permathrin. 99.0% DEAT. This was designed by the US Army for jungle warfair and is the only thing I trust. It is sprayed on your clothing only "NOT YOUR SKIN" and once dryed 4-6 hours the clothing is safe to wear. It will last up to 4 weeks and will with stand minor washing. Type Permathrin into your browser for more information. There is nothing else that I am aware of that works as good as this product.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

so does this stuff really work as good after only 1 application. I dont need to keep putting it on each time?

Last question. Are there less ticks in hardwood areas where there is little grass and mostly just trees and a little ground foliage like bushes?

Last edited by longislandhunter; 10-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

I spray a good coat of permanone on all my clothing right before the season,then I let it air dry outside. Once dry I coat the crap out of it with a earth scent away spray. Then your good to go after it dries. That will usually take you to the colder times when the ticks become less active.Be aware of where you walk that three foot grass and brush could be a killer. As you know the problem on the Island with deer ticks is insane. But the stuff does work. I once sprayed it on my pants and a minute later walked through some heavy brush and watched the dicks on my legs whaen they hit the spot where I sprayed they literally died right there.(but the spray was still wet)
Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by longislandhunter
so does this stuff really work as good after only 1 application. I dont need to keep putting it on each time?

Last question. Are there less ticks in hardwood areas where there is little grass and mostly just trees and a little ground foliage like bushes?
Re-apply after every four weeks and you will be protected. I suppose there could be less ticks in the hardwoods but I wouldn't count on it. I have seen a single clump of bushes that were infested with ticks just waiting for a host. Use the Permathrin and don't worry about ticks. If you do get bitten "slim chance" see your doctor right away and he/she will have two pills for you to take. Only if you ignore getting bitten and wait to long will you run the risk of Limes.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

as others said Permethrin is the way to go. Store your clothes in a dark plastic bag out of the sun for the longest effect. Usually 4 weeks, it will say on the can.

Ticks can be found any where , your less likely in hard woods unless you hunt from or sit the ground. Spray down and you'll never have to worry. Remember clothes only and not your skin. I also spray the inside couple inches of my pant legs and waist.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Spike

My experience of hunting on Long Island for better then 30years either on the Co-ops or the east end is: extended temps at 32 degrees and below it is a safe bet that the ticks have gone dormant. If the temps hit 33 degrees, the deer and dog ticks are out in full force.

Steve
X-LINY
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Spike

we have had three frosts up here in CNY and the ticks are still out in full force. Only in one small area do we have a tick problem. Most areas of CNY they are not a problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Spike

Been hunting LI since Oct 1, fields and woods. haven't encountered 1 tick. The deer are crawling with them though...just make a habit of showering as soon as you get home, and checking yourself thoroughly several times...
As a taxidermist, I can tell you that ticks are active on deer still in January when I get them in for Suffolk shotgun season...
Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.