Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Thank god for acorns >

Thank god for acorns

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank god for acorns

Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thank god for acorns

Some years where we hunt in Orange County, we see few deer cause there's no acorns around, and no reason to pass through our area. But this year, the place is full of acorns, buck rubs, tons of scrapes, and we saw quite a few deer both Sat & Sun. I had a nice 3 pointer, real high and thick, check his scrape not 10 yards from the tent. Could have nailed if for my first bow kill, but decided to let him go. (My son's still giving me a load of shahola for passing on em.) Saw a small 6 bout 35 yds, but just a little too far and not a good shot anyway. Can't wait till we start using scent around halloween to see what they do. Only get the weekends to hunt, but will be an interesting season. Great start so far. Good luck to all.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Plenty of deer

I havent seen a buck yet in the last 2 weeks but I,ve seen a ton of does .Last 3 evenings I ve seen 21 to 23 doe and fawns around...
Bucks will be moving soon,,,
Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

In WV, it makes bowhunting my farm harder when there are tons of acorns like this year. They just don't have to travel to eat...so they don't move nearly as much.

When the acorns are scarce, the deer just move everywhere to get nutrition.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

In Pa where I hunt red acorns are falling so hard you need to wear a hard hat.Ive seen 6 deer so far all bucks however its early muzzle loader doe season.I sure hope the bucks are still there when there legal.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt north orange for bow and port jervis for rifle. Only 22 acres with bow, but at least this year they're moving and browsing. Plus, you've got the rut coming up. But when rifle starts, on 11/20, the rut may be in it's last stretch. When shots ring out on the first couple of days, the bucks will get wise, find cover, and eat where ever they bed cause of the abundance of acorns. I'll bet we see a lot of does, but bucks will be scarce. Hope not but we'll see what happens.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Spike

Had millions of acorns on the ground at my home in the City (Queens, NY). They are dropping from giant Oak trees all over the neighborhood. I decided to bag the dropped acorns and bring them up to my 40 acres upstate and let the deer feast on them instead of the squirrels in the city!

I hope the Deer appreciate them and show their monster racks!

Good hunting all,
Tony