Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY'ers can now use a Draw Lock???? >

NY'ers can now use a Draw Lock????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY'ers can now use a Draw Lock????

Old 07-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY'ers can now use a Draw Lock????

well in NY's new crossbow bill they shot down the use of crossbows for handicapped hunters but threw them a bone and told them you are allowed to attach this "Draw Lock" thingy to your compound which you **** with your feet like a chimp.

well i emailed 7 of the top vertical compound bow companies out there and asked them about using a draw lock device. 5 out of the seven responded and i was told by all 5 of them that they DO NOT recommend the use of a draw lock and that they wouldn't be held responsible for anything that might happen if you decide to put one on one of their bows?

also they stated very clearly that any damage to one of their bows which had a draw lock on it would VOID the warranty????
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sits in trees
well in NY's new crossbow bill they shot down the use of crossbows for handicapped hunters...
Shot it down? Last I heard x-bows were made legal for anyone to use. The only thing left to be decided was when and during what seasons. I must be missing something.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Crosbows

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Shot it down? Last I heard x-bows were made legal for anyone to use. The only thing left to be decided was when and during what seasons. I must be missing something.
I for one hope that the governor of NY does not sign the bill!

I am a proponent of the introduction of crossbows. This final version of the bill does not represent the the sponsors original submission to the legislature. Those sponsors should implore the governor to reject this piece of legislature aimed at placating the desires of the "ANTIS' (NY BOWHUNTERS) and insist that the legislature approve for the governors signature the original version of the bill which represents the desires of the majority of the hunters within the state.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sits in trees
well in NY's new crossbow bill they shot down the use of crossbows for handicapped hunters but threw them a bone and told them you are allowed to attach this "Draw Lock" thingy to your compound which you **** with your feet like a chimp.

well i emailed 7 of the top vertical compound bow companies out there and asked them about using a draw lock device. 5 out of the seven responded and i was told by all 5 of them that they DO NOT recommend the use of a draw lock and that they wouldn't be held responsible for anything that might happen if you decide to put one on one of their bows?

also they stated very clearly that any damage to one of their bows which had a draw lock on it would VOID the warranty????

This "Draw-Lock Thingy" that you so fondly talk about, has been on the market for 16 years, and there are no reports of causing damage to any bow. A Crossbow limb and a compound bow limb are made of the SAME THING. FYI, if you install a high performance chip in your diesl truck, you void the warranty $45.000 truck. Guess what, everyone does it. Does the Draw-Loc void the warranty on some bow, yes. So What! a new set of limbs are just over $100.00. Big Woop! Look at all the money I have saved by not having to buy a crossbow, and I still get to shoot my bow that I spent almost a thousand bucks on. It's a "NO BRAINER" RIGHT???? Try it you'll like it.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jag101
This "Draw-Lock Thingy" that you so fondly talk about, has been on the market for 16 years, and there are no reports of causing damage to any bow. A Crossbow limb and a compound bow limb are made of the SAME THING. FYI, if you install a high performance chip in your diesl truck, you void the warranty $45.000 truck. Guess what, everyone does it. Does the Draw-Loc void the warranty on some bow, yes. So What! a new set of limbs are just over $100.00. Big Woop! Look at all the money I have saved by not having to buy a crossbow, and I still get to shoot my bow that I spent almost a thousand bucks on. It's a "NO BRAINER" RIGHT???? Try it you'll like it.

No thanks. If I can't pull it and hold it, I'll not shoot it. Pretty simple.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

First I have heard that it was shot down,
According to dec website its legal for 2011/2012 season, with a new xbow course certification.
Can't post link now as I am on my phone.
Has something changed?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

with draw lock i see no reason for crossbow.crossbows are HEAVY .with that draw lock on you can still use your bow. thats neat.compound bow is much lighter and easier to handle in treestand and lighter to carry.

i wonder if that would work on recurve?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drawlocks have been legal to use in NY for many yrs. You must obtain a Modified Bow Permit from the DEC to use one. Thats not to be confused with the crossbow permit very difficult to obtain. The Modified Bow Permit is something many handicapped hunters seem to overlook, and say we need the crossbow instead. I would most definitely rather use a drawlock on my compound, then carry the heavy, bulky crossbow.
www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25018.html

Last edited by BuckAlley; 03-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Drawlocks have been legal to use in NY for many yrs. You must obtain a Modified Bow Permit from the DEC to use one. Thats not to be confused with the crossbow permit very difficult to obtain. The Modified Bow Permit is something many handicapped hunters seem to overlook, and say we need the crossbow instead. I would most definitely rather use a drawlock on my compound, then carry the heavy, bulky crossbow.
www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25018.html

go to head of class.CROSSBOWS ARE ONE HEAVY MOTHER.noisy as h.hard to pull up into tree with your rope.only 1 shot in tree.
compound with draw lock is light,second shot,not noisy as h.

CROSSBOWS ARE HIGH MAINTENACE .string servings,limbs, cam wheels, cables.