Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer Hunting in ME >

Deer Hunting in ME

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Hunting in ME

Old 06-26-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Deer Hunting in ME

Hey everyone, I am looking for some info for deer hunting in Maine. I thought this would be a fun subsitute for elk hunting out west. Let me explain:
I have a baby coming soon, and have a 16, 14, and 2 yo to go with that one. Funds are tight. My buddy also has 1 1/2 old twins and a 5 year old, so he is strapped as well. I think our trip west will have to be postponed for awhile.
I started looking for some alternative to our annual Wisconsin deer trip. My buddy has a cabin and property, so our cost is mainly gas, food, and license. I can make that trip for around $300 or so.
I found a couple of places in Maine that include lodging, meals, and guided or semi guided hunts for generally around $400-$600. This, plus license, gas, and a hotel for trip up I am guess will put me in the $800-$900 range. I think this is possible for next season.
Now, my question-

Any one know of good camps/outfitters in the Maine area? I have found a couple online and they should be mailing me more information. Perhaps anyone has heard of these places? If so, any and all thoughts/opinions/reviews would be welcome.
Thanks everyone!

1. Sunridge Rise Guide Service in Bingham Maine
2. Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps in Millinocket Maine
Old 06-26-2003, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Deer Hunting in ME

I live in central maine and have heard of the sunridge outfit in bingham. haven' t heard any bad things but my lone input would be to choose them over the millinocket camp simply because of deer population. many more animals in the bingham area than millinocket, however the hunting pressure may be a little bit more in bingham but not substantial. good luck whatever you choose.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Deer Hunting in ME

All depends on what you are hunting for, a trophy or just a deer. Nortern Maine has less deer, but trophy potential is better. Central Maine has it' s fair share of big deer but is better known for small parcels of land with high deer numbers. Bingham is hunted to death, so I would count that one out. Millinocket area has some nice trophy' s, Katahdin lake is good area.