Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Hunter

Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter

I grew up in Vermont where it seems like more people hunt than don't. I never hunted because my family simply wasn't a hunting family. I always wanted to though. So I decided that this year, at the age of 27, I am going to take the safety course, get a hunting license and start hunting. Any advice, pointers or information you guys and gals want to share with a soon-to-be new hunter?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was self taught as well. Id say the most important lessons Ive learned over the years is 1st and formost, DONT RUSH THE SHOT! When you 1st see a deer, you will want shoot it quickly before it gets away, but wait for the perfect angle, and dont pull the trigger or release, until you know you can hit em good. They are much easier to find that way.

2nd, when you get tired of waiting, wait some more.the most important element to killing game IMO, isnt your equipment or even scouting, its being in the woods when the deer are, and that somtimes requires alot of sitting and waiting, usually without seeing anything. you must resist the urge to leave and go back to the truck.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Spike

The best advice I can give you is to ask around and find a buddy that hunts and go with him or her.I'm sure you will come across another hunter if you go into a sporting goods store. Good luck in your adventures.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

What part of VT are you from?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default One great advantage you have

You're not limited to hunting with a bunch of buddies, all the time. You're more prepared to go solo too.

Learn how not to get lost, so you can trek more than 200 yards from a trail or road. I learned on a compass and map. Newbies can use a gps, but I'd recommend using and learning on a compass, too.

Scouting is as important to success as hunting. It also doesn't limit you to the "same back forty acres." Scouting can teach you that the deer aren't spread equally over the land, and not every spot is a good place to hunt.

To be a good hunter, you don't need to own everything or spend a ton of money. You take good advice and you make your own decisions.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Keep it simple starting out, and dont get sucked in by hype to spend alot of money on cool looking doo dads. Good socks and boots, gloves, synthetic long underwear, hat, a reliable gun and good knife appropriate to the game is all you need for starts. Learn how to use a compass and practice simple strait in and out of the woods with it. Join a local gun club where you can practice shooting, and I strongly recommend buying a .22 rifle to practice inexpensively with. The skills for shooting a centerfire are the same. The more time at the range, the more likely to meet other like minded individuals. Pick safe hunting partners who arent braggarts and show offs. You will probably be surprised with how many people you know who hunt: be observant for stickers in windows for outdoor organizations, camo clothing and accessories, and other giveaways that may let you start up a conversation.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by moosemike
What part of VT are you from?
x2 what part
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Learn the habits of your quarry, where it sleeps and eats. Spend as much time on stand as you can, when ever you can. Be still, be scent free, be patient. And most important be safe, enjoy nature and have fun. Good Luck and hunting alone can be most enjoyable for you have only yourself to blame if things don't work out. Also when you think you have the game figured out your quarry will change the rules.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Keep it simple starting out, and dont get sucked in by hype to spend alot of money on cool looking doo dads.
that's best advice #1,right there...listen to this man. Best advice #2: don't judge your success by the amount of animals killed, hunting is no longer the main source for meat for 99% of hunters, it's a way to keep in touch with nature, and a perfect way to releive stresses of everyday life. out there, you become one in the cycle of prey/predator. And remember, if animals had guns, 75%+ of the hunters would be dead before noon.
respect your quarry......
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't usually push a product,but since you may still be in Vermont,Google Larry Benoit.
His materials are great learning aids.That hunting family is very successful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.