Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Hunter

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Spike

Just started out hunting this winter and had alot of help getting started with purchasing a bow.

Last edited by jacob321; 01-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

welcome,
great place to get started,
lived in burlington for a year, didnt hunt VT, was a ski bum at the time,
i also started hunting late, and basically on my own,
my advise would be to keep it simple,
till you get your certification/license, can still get out there learning the woods in a different way than just hiking it.
as for gear, dont need all that much,
clothes , you probably have most of what you need in your closet,
the longer you spend in the woods, and deeper you go, then you can decide what additional gear you want for such trips
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Spike

Good stuff !!
I'm 41; neither parent hunted. We did fish a lot, though, which maybe kept me too busy to try hunting. I finally just now got tired of begging venison from hunting friends and decided to get my own.
15 minutes into my first opening day of my life, invited with a friend's group, a big doe walks in front of me, I fire, she gets up and runs, only to be brought down in the next gully by another party. What a rush !
I hunted the remainder of the gun season mostly solo and did finally get a deer of my own. I put more time in to get my one deer than most guys I'm sure, but I wouldn't trade a minute of it away.
Over the offseason I'll get some warmer boots and gloves, and maybe a new gun and maybe a tree stand, or maybe not. I'll still have a blast next season and enjoy the anticipation of and the preparation for the hunt, the sharing of stories, and hopefully some more venison.
In the meantime, my daughter is old enough to small game hunt with me. We'll do some bunny and squirrel hunts, and maybe the youth turkey hunt in April, and lots of shooting practice in the summer.
I can't believe I've been missing out on this great pastime / tradition all these years.
-- Lee
Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Spike

Grew up hunting Vermont, stopped hunting it when I joined the Army out of Highschool. Still hunting down in TN. If you are a stalk hunter be SLOW!! LOl. Deffinatly agrre with scouting tips. Also, get permission if you want to have any hope of hunting privet land. Leave the woods better than you found them. Enjoy yourself and respect your quarry. Also, leave the general area of where you plan on hunting with a family member/friend and a time you expect to return, just in case. Be safe and enjoy yourself in the woods.