Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Food Plot Question??? >

Food Plot Question???

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Food Plot Question???

Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plot Question???

I live in western Pa and am planning on putting a food plot in. Ive never done this before and wondered if anyone had any info for me. I dont have any fields on my poperty, but I do have a powerline. I am planning on using it for my site. My main question is: If there is a lot of food in the area, (acorns, corn, beans) is it still worth planting the plot. Im afraid they will just eat the crops instead of the plot. Am I wasting my time and money? If not, any suggestions on what to plant?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I suggest planting winter wheat and rye this fall around labor day. But I suggest taking soil samples first. WW & rye do very well for me on power lines, gas lines and logging trails. Pike
Old 04-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Typical Buck

we feed purina deer chow formulas year round. better then food plot. Some states wont allow you to feed deer might wanna check rules..
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

with all that food around you, jpike has it right. WVhuntin4me, In PA U cannot hunt over a feeder, salt block, lolli pop, deer caine, or anything like that and it must be out f the woods 30 days prior to the opening of a deer season if you are hunting on that ground. Food Plot is not considered bait!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

O then you would need a food plot if no food sorce is present. I never understood. Whats the difference between hunting a corn feild or a corn feeder. They are both put there by man, and the deer come there to eat. A corn feild is just a 10 acre corn feeder.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

wvhunt, the way I see it ( using your 10acre example ) deer still have a choice of where they want to feed in that 10 acres. Its not clear where exactly a deer will come out or feed. A setup feeder is more of a advantage in that regards.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
with all that food around you, jpike has it right. WVhuntin4me, In PA U cannot hunt over a feeder, salt block, lolli pop, deer caine, or anything like that and it must be out f the woods 30 days prior to the opening of a deer season if you are hunting on that ground. Food Plot is not considered bait!
Buck Hunter you mean if I drop my loli pop while sitting in my stand licking it, I got to climb the whole way down to retrieve it???

Huntingthe rut, try WW and Rye, it will continue to grow and stay green long after the corn is cut, the acorns are gone and everything else has turned brown and died. Pike
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvhuntin4me
O then you would need a food plot if no food sorce is present. I never understood. Whats the difference between hunting a corn feild or a corn feeder. They are both put there by man, and the deer come there to eat. A corn feild is just a 10 acre corn feeder.
Dude Keep watching Buckmasters TV you might eventually pick something up!! Do you always try to blow smoke up peoples butts?
I havent seen you post one thing that was true since you been here!!Not that I am trying to put hunters who use feeders down ( I have 2 of them) but there is no comparison betweeen a feeder and a 10 acre corn field. You can program your feeder to force the deer to come in during day light hours to a 30 yard square area etc., and a 10 acre corn field is open to eat 24/7 and the deer can enter and exit it where ever they so chose. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 04-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I understand the 10 acre thing,Butt there still is a similarity. I dont wish for you to say about blowing smokes up butts, cause you dont understand my situation. I find that term to be very offensive. i dont smoke nor do i put my mouth near butts. please dont talk to me that way anymore.IT OFFENDS ME.... you need God to destroy that pride of yours... I will pray for you...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

tecomonte plot seed, they have a map of the areas across the U.S and says what they recommend for ya...mine has mad activity even today and i planted it labor day weekend last year. i used monster mix and max attract....had better luck with the bigger of the bags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.