Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Gary Alt resigns......... >

Gary Alt resigns.........

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Gary Alt resigns.........

Old 06-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gary Alt resigns.........

I had heard mixed emotions about this. Some of the Pa hunters that I have spoken too have stated that they did not want the antler resitrictions and that his supposed resignation was a good thing. They told me that they were meat hunters not antler hunters. On the other side some hunters really wanted the anlter restrictions to help produce larger bucks.
Alot of the anti-restriction hunters said that it is hard enough to kill buck. They said that all the trophy deer would do is bring in more hunters out of state and that there were enough coming into Pa now.
I just thought I would pass along what I have been told. As far as I am concerned I would hope that the Game Commission in what ever decision they make they would be for the betterment of hunting in Pa.
My only other concern is that some hunters and I hope that I am incorrect would shoot a buck walk up to it and not see that points needed and leave that deer lay there to go to waste.
My opinion only.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:06 PM

Seems rather funny that after all the hoopla and the change in deer management and the " success" Dr. Alt has in implementing this that he would be that concerned about retirement benefits. A man who has spent his life doing this work would put himself in front of the managment issues that he has been preaching. How much did he have to lose?

Gar
Old 06-22-2003, 06:51 PM

I would agree that if my benifits were being tampered with I would way my options weather to stay or go. I know my wife' s job is history as of July first. Thanks to the new budget.[:@] But if there is a chance he may stay and it is true it is directly related to the benifit package rather than political pressure, All the better.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

So, to summarize, Gary Alt was going to quit because of a health benefit related issue but since there is now an extension on making the decision we can safely say that he might not quit if that situation should change...but if it does not then Gary Alt will resign in 90 days. Yes?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, That is what I was thinking too. In 90 days he is gone if no benefit package if offered to his satisfaction. I can' t really blame the man for that.

But I will say that this will be very sad indeed if he leaves. [:' (] Just when we were going to see the fruits of his labor especially in the next few years.

I hope he doesn' t leave as PA needs him.

Brian
Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 AM

First off Gary Alt should do what is right for himself. If it is a benefits issues then no one can fault the guy for that. It is his livelyhood and as much as we might not like the guys policies we can' t fault him for taking care of his benefits in that regard.

The other issue would be mysterious funding of deer studies? If it was the pros or anti' s the study would be biased either way. I don' t think any of us will live to see the day when a truly honest and fair study will occur. Alt' s antler restrictions are not the end of the world. I hope he can stay on a few years and can see it through. It would be a shame to see it go back to the old way.

Hopefully the number of antlerless permits goes down a bit. Last year' s kill for antlerless deer was 352,000 in the 1999 season there was only 378,000 total deer harvested. So it is maybe a bit excessive.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-23-2003, 03:38 PM

think about it guys ,you are going to work a few more years and retire and not get any better package than you will get now .you retire and go into the private sector and make more a year than working for the state .it is a no brainer for mr alt if this is true .he has had so much attention in the deer biology world that he wil easilly make more money out of the state !!!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 PM

I think the people higher up the ladder should think about retirement. I' m hearing they (some) are the ones giving him grief over his management plan. I did hear him say more than once at his talks that if he met resistance from the commissioners he would pack it in. I do believe his bosses (some) are behind this. If they would let him have the reins and let him run with it with little to no resistance his life would be a lot easier. It' s hard enough trying to change old practices let alone fight a commission who is on the same side you are but cant seem to come to terms. The man just got tired of having to fight the final sayers on this matter. The commission needs to be revamped with people who are more open minded and willing to try things in order to see if they can succed. POLITICS and hunting. Somehow they go hand and hand????????[:@]
Old 06-25-2003, 11:44 AM
jf5

Not get too off topic...but aren' t there plenty of does to harvest for the proclaimed meat hunters as opposed to taking out 1.5 yr old spikes??

Quick Reply: Gary Alt resigns.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.