Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ands the heard crashed not long aster that.There is no way that Pa could support 2 million deer without extensive damage to the habitat.
The herd crashed due to a reported antlerless harvest of 171,662 deer in just 30 counties combined with a unusually severe winter when the deer couldn't access the available habitat. The herd did not crash because they exceeded the max. CC of the habitat.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, they died because there were too many confined to small wintering lands. The food was depleted and they all died.
Thanks for fessing up!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

The whole problem in a nut shell. To many different opinions! No matter what or if any changes to the deer program. With all those, involved,hunters,BOC,DNCR,biologists,farmers and the rest of the stake holders. Your always going to have someone pizzed off and complaining about the deer program. It's going to be never ending! Example; just look at this years proposals. Adding the other WMU's to the buck only for the first week and the DMP's. Already have heard smack from hunters,DNCR,the BOC, biologists and others about the proposals. No matter what happens,not everyone is ever going to be happy.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

instead of appointed Board members why don't we elect them????? Then we'll see what the majority wants!!!!! An trust me it isn't fewer deer or good hunting for a couple weeks to see 3 deer on public land!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Banned

"In that example I'm referring to the greatly diminished hunting pressure in the gun season , especially in the Northern tier on opening day of rifle. Instead of "game over" by Monday at dark after the "big shoot" the hunting is good all season long."
Not sure how its good all season when you're starting out with rock bottom deer densities to start with. lol Previously there were far more POST SEASON deer than there are now PRESEASON deer in that area. That fact doesnt really support your contention????

"Your opinion and mine are based on the handfuls of folks we interact with in person and online."
Thats true for yours, and partially mine. But mine goes further yet with the legislators statements & surveys. And pgcs own survey which showed greatly declining support for the deer program, the conclusion of the study which is due out some time this year..

"Too few in some small spots? also agree."
You dont agree with me, because thats not my position. Most of the state has been unnecessarily reduced to some extent.

"Less deer is something we needed most places
Many places, yes. Most? Thats very debatable. We can give opinions based on nothing...Or if we are to base it on anything, then the answer has to be no. Because over most of the state, there is absolutely nothing that supports the current herd levels, and in many cases continuing decline despite claims of stabilization.

"Better hunting in spite of lower numbers? I think so. Better average bucks and better average doe size and it's still easy to find em in good numbers
good numbers is open to interpretation. The average hunter isnt seeing good numbers of deer currently.

As for average buck size, its a meaningless stat.

Afterall, whats better... 50% of 100 or 75% of 50?? If we are talking about anything that would be beneficial to have more of, ... Id suggest grabbing the 50% as opposed to the 75....

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-04-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

No matter what happens,not everyone is ever going to be happy.

Though i dont think it the ideal solution, alot more were happy previously. And with compromise, alot more can and should be happ-IER than they are now, and possibly even moreso than previously as well.

With more deer than now, but less than previously, the percieved deer "problems" will still be addressed more than they were previously. + those few wanting less deer have plenty of "tools" available that werent previously. Hunters would have somewhat more deer than currently... No losers.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-04-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Potterco
instead of appointed Board members why don't we elect them????? Then we'll see what the majority wants!!!!! An trust me it isn't fewer deer or good hunting for a couple weeks to see 3 deer on public land!!!!!

Elected by who?

By the general voting public? bad idea! Guaranteed PETA would have their own version of ACORN out there in a heartbeat and it'd be game over.

By hunting license buyers? That'd be OK but we'd best see to it that the PGC stays funded exclusively by hunters or it'd never happen.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08

Though i dont think it the ideal solution, alot more were happy previously. And with compromise, alot more can and should be happ-IER than they are now, and possibly even moreso than previously as well.
Don't know? If we let the deer herd grow, climate control activists may be next to jump on the band wagon? Excessive gas emissions from deer droppings altering the Ozone.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Elected by who?

By the general voting public? bad idea! Guaranteed PETA would have their own version of ACORN out there in a heartbeat and it'd be game over.

By hunting license buyers? That'd be OK but we'd best see to it that the PGC stays funded exclusively by hunters or it'd never happen.
Is that PETA,People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or PETA, People eating tasty animals? I think the second group would qualify to vote.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

btb says: "By hunting license buyers? That'd be OK but we'd best see to it that the PGC stays funded exclusively by hunters or it'd never happen. "
There you go BT! Now youre cookin' with gas! In that instance, Id be willing to sell a kidney if it meant keeping them funded. lol.

BP says:
"Don't know? If we let the deer herd grow, climate control activists may be next to jump on the band wagon? Excessive gas emissions from deer droppings altering the Ozone"

That too can be solved. Just get a car company to start working on a deer pellet burning engine for one of their hybrids. Less emissions than gas. Problem solved. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.