Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Collecting sheds >

Collecting sheds

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Collecting sheds

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
They are illegal in PA
You forgot to also mention that it is illegal to collect sheds in PA unless you pa 10$ a point to keep the antlers. You find a dead deer or a skull of a dead deer or an antler you are not allowed to have it unless you pay 10$ a point for them. Even on your own property to.

I find many people obey that law.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tony_Loyd
You forgot to also mention that it is illegal to collect sheds in PA unless you pa 10$ a point to keep the antlers. You find a dead deer or a skull of a dead deer or an antler you are not allowed to have it unless you pay 10$ a point for them. Even on your own property to.

Are you kidding me? What the hell kind of law is that and how long has that been in place?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whole skulls, you are correct. Sheds, however, can be picked up and posessed legally at no cost with no problems
Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Whole skulls, you are correct. Sheds, however, can be picked up and posessed legally at no cost with no problems
I wish I was wrong BT but not even antler sheds. You are not allowed to even cut the antlers off a skull you found unless you pay 10$ a point.

You hit a buck and kill it with your car, you need a permit number and if you want to keep the antler it is 10$ a point. But try and collect car damage funds from the PGC for that deer that damaged your car and it wont happen.

Does are free and cost you nothing to keep though.

Last edited by Tony_Loyd; 01-27-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I was wrong BT but not even antler sheds. You are not allowed to even cut the antlers off a skull you found unless you pay 10$ a point.

You hit a buck and kill it with your car, you need a permit number and if you want to keep the antler it is 10$ a point. But try and collect car damage funds from the PGC for that deer that damaged your car and it wont happen.

Does are free and cost you nothing to keep though.

You are correct about everything but sheds. If they fell off the deer, it's OK to keep em. the law was changed a few years back specifically making sheds found in the wild legal to keep.

Cant keep heads, skulls etc that you fnd unless you pay but sheds are allowed
Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
You are correct about everything but sheds. If they fell off the deer, it's OK to keep em. the law was changed a few years back specifically making sheds found in the wild legal to keep.

Cant keep heads, skulls etc that you fnd unless you pay but sheds are allowed

Thank you for clear up. I did not know it changed for dropped antlers.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

No Problem.

The law was probably intended to give WCO's another tool to prosecute poachers and prevent a black market in heads but penalizing a guy who simply finds a skull and picks it up is taking the letter of the law to the point of silliness IMHO.

I kinda think most WCO's would apply some common sense in that kind of situation but as you said picking up a skull is against the law.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

A natural shed antler is legal, Unnatrual shed I.E antler traps make it illegal. Antlers attached to the skull are also illegal to pick up.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
A natural shed antler is legal, Unnatrual shed I.E antler traps make it illegal. Antlers attached to the skull are also illegal to pick up.

But a turkey feeder filled with corn isn't illegal? Kinda the same device. The turkey feeder would do about the same thing as the antler trap when deer try to get the corn or eat the corn under the turkey feeder. Just make improvised turkey feeders then.