Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGS's Strategic Plan >

PGS's Strategic Plan

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGS's Strategic Plan

Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

In case your not Familair with Chesapeake Farms it is 3,300 acres in size and is less than 23% forested.
It is also managed at over 200 deer per forested square mile.

Whats funny to me is that DR. Rosenberry didnt have a problem with the farms deer density since he was one of the chosen few that got to hunt there but now that he is in charge of PA.'s deer program 20 deer per forested square mile is to many. Pike
Sorry to keep going back to your post but you keep inserting changes that cause change in my responses.

As for QDMA and Rosenberry managing Chesapeake farms for 200 DPFSM . With 23% forest, that actually means that of the 3300 acres, 759 acres or 1.18 square miles is forest. So if they're managing for 200 DPFSM that means their target number is 237 deer for the total 3300 acres (or 5.15 SM) That translates to 43 deer per square mile. Yes thats far more that any statewide goal but this is a property being managed for deer with the landowners agreement. Any Pennsylvanian has the ability and right to buy or lease his own land, form a cooperative or a club and do the same thing. Thats not a conflict in mamagement style. It's working with the realities of managing a private area with deer as the primary goal versus managing a whole state where many other interests and forces are present.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Quote:
In our QDM program we typically harvest between 8 and 12 does per season on our 200 acres. This is a bit more than the normal recommended harvest of 45 does per 1,000 acres, but we harvest a few more than some might think we need to because some of our surrounding neighbors do not believe in killing does.
That is a quote from C. Alsheimer and the harvest rate of 10 doe/200 acres means they would harvest 32 doe /SM. So if thy harvested 1/3 of the doe on their property ,then there were 96 PS doe PSM.

The folly in your point is that he was referring to only their 200 acres. They are obviously killing does that come in from areas outside of their control. Since they have no control over the outside areas, the number of doe they kill cant be used as an accurate guage of the deer density on their property. I have a 5 acre place I hunt that produces 3-5 does per year for me. That doesnt mean the deer density is 192-640 dpsm which is what using your formula would suggest.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Sorry to keep going back to your post but you keep inserting changes that cause change in my responses.

As for QDMA and Rosenberry managing Chesapeake farms for 200 DPFSM . With 23% forest, that actually means that of the 3300 acres, 759 acres or 1.18 square miles is forest. So if they're managing for 200 DPFSM that means their target number is 237 deer for the total 3300 acres (or 5.15 SM) That translates to 43 deer per square mile. Yes thats far more that any statewide goal but this is a property being managed for deer with the landowners agreement. Any Pennsylvanian has the ability and right to buy or lease his own land, form a cooperative or a club and do the same thing. Thats not a conflict in mamagement style. It's working with the realities of managing a private area with deer as the primary goal versus managing a whole state where many other interests and forces are present.
BT considering the fact that Chesapeake Farms harvest's 180 + deer per year off their 3,300 acre property yet still have over 200 + deer per forested square mile your #'s dont make sense.

Also QDMA Biologist's make deer density reccomendations based on the health of the habitat and every species that share's the habitat, not just the whitetail deer. Pike
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by J Pike
BT considering the fact that Chesapeake Farms harvest's 180 + deer per year off their 3,300 acre property yet still have over 200 + deer per forested square mile your #'s dont make sense.

Also QDMA Biologist's make deer density reccomendations based on the health of the habitat and every species that share's the habitat, not just the whitetail deer. Pike

Sorry, I was using the numbers you gave me. Based on that alone, there was nothing wrong with my math but I obviously need to go back and look at this situation again.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

In our QDM program we typically harvest between 8 and 12 does per season on our 200 acres. This is a bit more than the normal recommended harvest of 45 does per 1,000 acres, but we harvest a few more than some might think we need to because some of our surrounding neighbors do not believe in killing does.
Please try and pay attention. C. A. said the normal QDMA recommendation was to harvest 45 does /1000 acres or 29 doe PSM. That equates to a PS doe density of 86 doe PSM. Therefore,with a 1:1 B/D ratio the PS DD would be 173 DPSM.

Now, do you still believe that C.A. supports the PGC HR plan in 2G or the rest of the state or is C.A. a QDMA traitor?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please try and pay attention. C. A. said the normal QDMA recommendation was to harvest 45 does /1000 acres or 29 doe PSM. That equates to a PS doe density of 86 doe PSM. Therefore,with a 1:1 B/D ratio the PS DD would be 173 DPSM.

Now, do you still believe that C.A. supports the PGC HR plan in 2G or the rest of the state or is C.A. a QDMA traitor?
Please provide a link or the source for the partial quote you posted above so we can take an objective look at the whole story and not just the parts you want to use to further your agenda.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please provide a link to articles where you claim those individuals you named supported the PGC DMP. Then I will provide the link to C. A. article.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys should see the deer density in my back yard if it holds for the rest of my land were looking at some where near 600 PSDPYSMUL of course the corn might be a factor.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you still illegally baiting deer?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please provide a link to articles where you claim those individuals you named supported the PGC DMP. Then I will provide the link to C. A. article.

LOL! We all know there have been countless references in outdoor publications recognizing PA's DMP in a positive light over the past several years. I'll find some, no problem. But your post raises the question as to what is it you're trying to hide by avoiding having us see the whole story in the partial quote you provided?

rest assured I'll find that too, if it exists

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.