Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Now what?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

Btw, nice camp btb.

That thing would go beautifully for me on the border of the Shawnee in Ohio!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

We got permission to hunt some farms here but there's too many people hunting it.The gamelands get hammered so there's few deer but we hit it for archery sometimes.
You can't beat hunting the bigwoods though.When I'm perched in my treestand at the cabin with the smells and colors of fall I'm in another world.I just wish the PGC would make some serious adjustment on the anterless allocations.I don't need to see the deer we saw in the 80's but man it's getting tough just finding a few.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Btw, nice camp btb.

That thing would go beautifully for me on the border of the Shawnee in Ohio!

Thanks Corn.

Put a ton of work into the place over the last 2 years. It's obviously not just deer camp. It's trout, walleye, bass, musky, turkey, pheasant, squirrel, canoeing, card playin, beer drinkin and porch mindin camp.

Even work around camp is relaxing and enjoyable. Work around the house is.... well....work!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

I was just mentioning that area in ohio because that would be my #1 choice of an area within reasonable driving distance for a campsite. That doesnt mean other areas might not be great as well, i didnt necessarily mean it wasnt great right where its at, im sure having tens of thousands of acres of public land for a playground right out the door has its good points, here in Pa or nearly anywhere else. Ive thought long and hard on a couple of occaissions about trying to get ahold of a small piece bordering a large Pa public land area in another part of the state and building a small cabin just for a change of pace. Only reason i havent is because the few of us who hunt together most often are a pretty tight knit group and some are hard-headed pains in the arse (lol) and dont like to go elsewhere other than within say 30-40 miles from home at most the areas we're most familiar with, so it'd probably be just me and one family member that would ever be traveling to use it. For that reason i just havent been able to justify the expense and work.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by germain
We got permission to hunt some farms here but there's too many people hunting it.The gamelands get hammered so there's few deer but we hit it for archery sometimes.
You can't beat hunting the bigwoods though.When I'm perched in my treestand at the cabin with the smells and colors of fall I'm in another world.I just wish the PGC would make some serious adjustment on the anterless allocations.I don't need to see the deer we saw in the 80's but man it's getting tough just finding a few.
dcnr has brainwashed so many people or should i say,THEY ARE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO GO PLACES.even our sportsmans clubs are being run by people that walk the talk.
this is happening because of lack of interest in getting involved.when door is left open, in comes WALK THE TALK PEOPLE.

this is why a lot of great sportsman have quit the clubs and now hikers are taking over or are being active.folks,no doubt in my mind that we are going to continue to lose influence in state and locally too.by not being active and spending time trying to stop this mess,we are losing as hunters.
i see deer hunting getting a lot worst in state of pa.i was very shocked to read about how bad deer hunting is getting on privateland too and in areas that used to have good numbers of deer in farm areas out of big woods...........

i did see something that showed a little hope.
i saw local crews in renovo area of clinton county that did not kill a doe this year because of lack of doe but some were shocked to only see 4 deer in 6 days of hunting the first week........
i was pleased to hear some kids say, DAD I DONT WANT A DOE THIS YEAR.I WILL HUNT BUCK..
that was good to hear also and 2 were kids that hunted their first year too.but i only saw 4 kids this year but know of 100 that have license.

this is why i feel that only KID SHOULD BE ABLE TO HARVEST A DOE HERE IN CLINTON COUNTY.no adult can kill a doe in wmu2g.
its that bad right now in clinton county............
right now almost everyone i talk too is going hunting with flintlock next 2 weeks. i only hunt buck in this season but almost all i know are doe hunting.
i guess we just dont get it,kill, kill, kill until they are gone.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once I realized that DR. Alt was full of crap during his dog and pony shows, I knew the hunting in PA. was going to crap. I also knew that if I wanted to keep enjoying hunting I needed to find another state to start hunting in and fast!! So I started hunting OH. and never looked back! Havent hunted in PA in years and could care less. Pike
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by J Pike
Once I realized that DR. Alt was full of crap during his dog and pony shows, I knew the hunting in PA. was going to crap. I also knew that if I wanted to keep enjoying hunting I needed to find another state to start hunting in and fast!! So I started hunting OH. and never looked back! Havent hunted in PA in years and could care less. Pike
i was shocked to see what the taxes were in ohio on land.like 40 dollars for 15 acres or so.here in clinton county they put the knife to camps/landowners with new assessment last year.

1 acre of land in big woods was about 1,000 acre assessed.NOW its 12,000/16,000 a acre.this was brought about because george bush cut out the federal money coming to states before he left.
so our local taxes went thru roof and now they are going to raise it 11% more.
this has caused the former owners of land to SELL off in mountains. in comes the NEW JERSEY hunters and buy up every acre.the first thing they do is put up NO TRESSPASSING signs and WIRE FENCE...............
this land was open to all before this but cannot afford taxes, so they sell out......

sorry got off track again but my point is,you are right, for many reasons the other states are drawing our hunters that used to stay home..........
Old 12-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately you hit on what will be ultimately the demise of hunting for the common man. When there are large bucks to harvest it gets worse. Finding a place to hunt on private land used to be accomplished by a visit and a handshake. Now that handshake needs to be accompanied with cash and the winner is the one who offes the most. Here in Vermont it is our right to hunt any land that is not posted. Good sportsmanship dictates that a visit to ask is best but it is our right as hunters in this state to hunt. I can see that coming to an end and soon leases will take up all the open private land even though our bucks don't grow to trophy proportions. This pushes more people to the available pub lands and causes the quality of hunting to just get worse.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunters as a group have become an elitist bunch , Bow hunters, gun hunters,muzzle loaders and now cross bowers.

While I grew up you either hunted or you didn't, no one was a.............hunter you were just a hunter, just like America, no ones just a Proud American, you have to be ______American, you fill in the blank, I won't cause it just like _______ hunters it just plain pizzes me off.

Oh ya Merry Christmas.