Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA? >

HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned

"Kind of a Catch-22 situation fellas."

Naaa. Not so much.

"someone who looks at it from an objective perspective"

And who would that be?? YOU? lmao. The man who loves to post for controversy only? The guy who said hes interested in "practicing" in our forum, so you can handle supporting extreme deer reduction in your own area when it comes, as you stated its so direly needed? The guy who said his dad was senile because he didnt buy into your beliefs?

Yeah. Real objective. I seem to also remember you being not exactly against personal attacks. Ive seen more than one instance where youve lacked restraint. Usually when your arguments arent cutting the mustard, such as in discussion about states you dont live in or hunt.

So much for our out of state judge and jury.

"Factor in things such as the most recent studies which show that Pennsylvania is still in the top 5 in the nation for deer-auto collisions (albeit down from #1 prior to full implementation of herd reduction) and plenty of ordinary citizens just don't see what all the fuss is about in terms of lowering the deer population."

It doesnt have to be factored in. We had human conflict assessed, but unfortunately that didnt include them asking YOUR thoughts i guess. The assessment in many areas was low, even prior to reduction. They also had cac (stakeholder) meetings including all those effected by deer and the results were NOT requests for further decreases anywhere other than sras. Therefore in many area the reduction was not due to that factor. That didnt stop the widescale blanket reduction. You ignore many other real goals, especially the ones tht make no sense, the ones that required the BLANKET approach. We dont manage for zero car collisions. More populated areas + lots of roads are gonna have more collissions. Ridiculous excessive Biodiversity on the other hand is a stated goal of dcnr, audubon AND pgc.

" and consider compromise"

Pgc doing abolutely nothing is no compromise. I propose 20% herd increase to start with, across the board instead of the 50-100% increases some would like to see. Thats an example of an actual, real compromise and one pgc wants no part of.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-17-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Remember the old adage "SPORT" we all learned during hunter education? Sportsman Policing Our Ranks Together. This is what we truely need. An organization that is based on this principle that would be looked upon as a reasonable representation of the million or so hunters in PA. Headed by actual sportsman that have had or currently have a voice with the PGC.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

That would be a great Idea camo. But while we are waiting on some organization to step up, something we basically have no control over, Id highly suggest in the mean time, that those concerned contact our state legislators and let them know what we think. Its proven to work on other issues as well as in other states. Since hunting season is nearly over, and a jan. pgc meeting is on the way soon, now is the perfect time to make those feelings known.

Btw, anyone who'd like to voice their views in person, that January meeting would be the perfect opportunity to address pgc, if for no other reason to let them know we hunters still exist and still dont approve.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Spike

Im sorry, but going to the meeting isnt going to help..IMO. People show up and complain at every meeting. You need people in authority to question the validity of management plan. I Mean REALLY question it. The only answer is legislators. Keep hounding them until they listen.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

I agree pahick. The meeting probably aint gonna get you results. but the second people stop going, and attendance is low pgc points to it and say people arent complaining. All is well.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pahick
Im sorry, but going to the meeting isnt going to help..IMO. People show up and complain at every meeting. You need people in authority to question the validity of management plan. I Mean REALLY question it. The only answer is legislators. Keep hounding them until they listen.
I think you are correct. You show up to complain and it goes in one ear and out the other without any consideration. The whole time you are speaking, there thought is, "how long is this idiot going to go on, how many more idiots do I have to listen to, I wonder if I will be home for dinner tonight, I can't wait to get this stupid, useless meeting over with." It might make you feel good to complain but, you could save yourself some time and effort and complain to your dog and pretend its the board of commissioners.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Spike

Dont get me wrong, im not saying dont go. Just dont expect anything different. No matter who listens, youre going to need a strong argument. IMO, that means arguing not only herd size/health, but economics. Regions once known to profit from hunters have turned to other forms of recreation/tourism,etc...face it, hunting is still big, and in this economy every cent counts.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a new organization needs started."Concerned deer hunters of Pennsylvania"
It has to be a bunch that has knowledge of deer,deer hunting,habitat,etc.
Some Wmu's might need changed and definately some land open to hunters needs a change in management.Less tags on SGL's?
Bring back the private land tag as a dmap system to address the overpopulated areas.
Maybe it has come to the point where a lottery system is needed on certain SGL's for doe tags.Heck I know a couple SGL's with great habitat that could stand doe season being closed for a couple of years.
What concerns me is some of the wording on the PGC website that's not hunter friendly.Having said that I heard this from a few people but didn't check it out yet myself so take that with a grain of salt.Changes are definately needed and sooner better then later.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Yeah, Germain, I made a post about the nonhunter friendly crap. It was the "history of deer management" page, which was the home page, at least temporarily. They are screwing around with the sight redoing it right now. Lots of old links no longer work etc. Im sure that page is still on there, but its not the home page. Spoke of hunters wanting a voice in issues as being "headaches". It also spoke of having "special interests" throughout history trying to tell them what to do and trying to get their way. Then went on and the only "special interest" group mentioned was HUNTERS!

ITs a real total crock, and once again pgc speaking well of us, but no pointing out of the "econut" arm twisting. No surprise from our current crew at pgc. I mean c'mon whoever the hell wrote that piece, you could at least hide the sentiment a bit for pr purposes!!!

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-17-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure hunters are a special interest group.We also lead the US in money toward conservation so that makes us special.
Wonder why the bird watchers,snowmobilers,atv riders,horseback riders,anti hunters,extreme environmentalists...etc etc aren't a headache to them?
If you ask me the extreme vironmentalists are the real headache because they get stipulations on logging and other activities.Heck they practically shut logging down on the ANF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.