Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Did anyone in PA have a good season? >

Did anyone in PA have a good season?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Did anyone in PA have a good season?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
You are obviously benefiting from the huge decrease in the number of hunters in the area you hunt. You are hunting less pressured deer and have a lot less competition. That's good for you ,but it is not good for the future of the PGC , their future ability to manage the herd and the future of hunting in PA.
I don,t know how you can sleep at night doug, benefiting from all that low hunting pressure and less competition and all that. Good hunting skills and woodsmanship simply can't be the reason for your success.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

My brother and I both took nice 7 pointers from the Poconos this year. First year both of us have scored together. In fact, it was the same blind we took the buck from.

I would not say it was the best season for seeing deer however, we did find a bit of luck the last 2 weeks. The archery season was hit or miss which is normal for us.

My dad and uncle hunted the same woods during rifle and neither of them saw a deer...so, they would say it was a tough season thus far.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pick00l
My brother and I both took nice 7 pointers from the Poconos this year. First year both of us have scored together. In fact, it was the same blind we took the buck from.

I would not say it was the best season for seeing deer however, we did find a bit of luck the last 2 weeks. The archery season was hit or miss which is normal for us.

My dad and uncle hunted the same woods during rifle and neither of them saw a deer...so, they would say it was a tough season thus far.
Hunting Private or Public in the Pokes? Hunter numbers way down/shots opening day 1000' acres of 4 hunting clubs/public land....six shots/two confirmed kills with hunters packing it in by 4pm. That is as bad as it can get!!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Have had a decent year this year in 5B. I do hunt private land that is hunted by neighbors and bordering property owners. I realize this is certainly an advantage. I shot a decent buck in Archery. Got a young girl her first archery kill (doe) and this past Friday took a 11 yr old (mentor program) out and he shot a 6pt.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Having a decent season so far. My PA buck hunting generally only really gets started around now because I spend several weeks out west but I've got some does in the freezer passed several young bucks and have a decent outlook for late archery. I've been getting email photos from friends all week of their bucks. Some nice ones but no real whoppers. Overall, I'd say that within my circle of hunting friends, the season has been slightly better than last year.

That being said, I can't help but notice the number of disappointing reports I see in this thread from some regulars here that I know are not among the regular gloom and doomers. But hey, the season aint over just yet!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Seen four more does this morning. I thought It was showtime when I heard a lone deer heading to the bedding area. all the does were traveling in groups and later in the morning to bed. It turned out to be a lone doe. Just can't catch a buck sneaking back to his bedroom yet.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

You would think this coming Saturday should be good. Should be better than the first day. Hunters will definitely give a good last effort at least till noon or 1 o'clock. Plus there is a good chance of a light snow cover to aid hunters Saturday.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Having a decent season so far. My PA buck hunting generally only really gets started around now because I spend several weeks out west but I've got some does in the freezer passed several young bucks and have a decent outlook for late archery. I've been getting email photos from friends all week of their bucks. Some nice ones but no real whoppers. Overall, I'd say that within my circle of hunting friends, the season has been slightly better than last year.

That being said, I can't help but notice the number of disappointing reports I see in this thread from some regulars here that I know are not among the regular gloom and doomers. But hey, the season aint over just yet!!
Bob, since I been steady afternoon for the last eighteen years, if not participating with a friend or family member,I go out just about every day to keep tabs of the area's I hunt. The pressure I would rate at least moderate almost every day. The area's are your typical farming community. With wooded sections being anywhere from 40 acres and the biggest is probably close to fourteen hundred acres. It's been slow. Hearing very little shooting so far. I had a decent year. Even though the majority of the bucks where small,I was seeing a couple almost everyday. I also had my share of slow days. But two sportsman's clubs I visit have their lowest buck pool entries ever. They all naturally gave their comments. Everything from heavy poaching to low deer numbers from the start.Don't know? But that's what I preach to eveyone. It ain't over yet!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Season

Haven't gotten anything yet as of Tuesday (8th.), plan on going out all day on Saturday since it'll be the last day until bow season comes back in the day after Christmas. Haven't seen a whole lot deer here in Southwestern, Pennsylvania, a few small bucks and a few doe. Should have a little snow for the weekend which will mke it a little better. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

did not know if i posted this or not.here in clinton county the crews i know said they have been seeing about 4 deer per day avg.folks, its bad here.i interviewd the gas stations in renovo area .they ask hunters what they see etc.
they said,SPROUL THEY ARE DISGUSTED.MOST NEVER EVEN SAW DEER.
also what is happening is the bear hunters are telling others where they are seeing some deer.this is causing 1 area to be loaded with hunters.you may see 40 hunters in a mile area easy, then nothing for other miles.
this is causing what deer that are left to be reduced even more.
i had hunters i talked to that did not know where they were going.all had GPS/RADIOS.they heard that there was 5 deer in this area.they were very excited.
i think i am going to hunt more in late season with flintlock.rifle season is just to crowded and too much disturbing of the woods where i hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.