Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maine Black Bear >

Maine Black Bear

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine Black Bear

Old 04-23-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Maine Black Bear

I have never been bear hunting although I have helped lug one out of the Maine woods. For any of you who have hunted Black Bear in Maine, what is the largest one you have ever taken or seen taken?

Maine Hunter
Old 04-23-2003, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Maine Black Bear

My bear was 210 lbs. and the first bear I had ever seen in the woods. After getting my bear in the truck I helped my buddy blood trail his bear .. which was 405 lbs and had a 20" + skull and was the largest with a bow in Maine a few years ago for that year. After getting that bear in the truck ..and it wasn' t easy, we headed over to help our other buddy drag out a 375 lb bear and to wrap up the night we had left another friend without a ride out who had shot 210lber as well. Hell of a 1st night on stand for our group.

Needless to say I thought 200lbers were tiny till I saw a few more bears.

The largets bear I have ever seen was last year in PA during turkey season. We had a nice group of birds working right in on us and all of a sudden they took off flying. Along comes an honest 500+lb black brute. His muzzle was all sorts of scarred, his belly was nearly dragging on the ground and he was at least 7' long. And he was coming straight in to our rubber turkey decoys and all we had were shotguns w/ little #5' s. At about 35 yards he stopped looked right at us and popped his teeth a few times .. then walked off, rather slowly as if to make the point he wasn' t afraid of a few turkey hunters.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got one that weighed 240, and seen one in our party go 375. They don' t get that big in Maine.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:26 AM

I saw one in the back of a truck about 6 or 7 years ago that weighed in at over 500 pounds here in Maine. They took it with dogs.

Largest I ever saw taken was 455 with dogs. Biggest on bait was slightly over 375.

Better plan your Maine bear hunt soon because the anti' s have started the referendum to ban bear hunting with dogs, bait and traps. We knew we were on the list but did not know they were going to be here so soon.