Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Less Deer in NY? >

Less Deer in NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Less Deer in NY?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Scrib, I had cold days and red hot days the cams don't lie the deer may be moving different and factor like standing corn may affect travel patterns but they are still there. I saw over 50 the other night in a spot where less than a week before I only saw 2, I bet they are just nocternal in areas where guys thinks they are not.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TRACKER
Heres your sign .. lol....
That sign would be for those who text talk on forums??!!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Last season, my average sightings during a afternoon hunt was 21 deer. This season, it was 3
Old 12-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
For the last 4 days ive sat, i havent seen ANY deer. Really, I mean totally NONE. Zero. Is anyone else having these problems? Its normal to sit for a morning, but 4 DAYS?!?!?!?!? Both morning and afternoon, and zippo. Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing
Years ago, I use to see anywhere from 15-20 deer on opening day. This year on opening day, I seen one doe at 2:35pm!! And that's being in the stand all day from before light till dusk!! Don't know if the coyotes are doing the damage, or what? Either way, time to change locations!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default My thoughts on this topic

I hunt in both central NY (north of Syracuse) and the Southern Tier.

Overall our experience this year was mixed. Opening day we saw an average number of deer. 25 to 30 is not uncommon for us too see bouncing around the hillside when they are being pushed around by our neighbors.

However, after the first day it seemed to taper off drastically. We hunted hard that whole week and saw a grand total of around 10 deer.

My best guess at this decrease was that after getting disrupted the deer found the woodlots that were not being hunted hard and knew a good thing when they found it. We have quite a few adjoining landowners that practice some type of QDM and this has led to a lot less pressure on some of these lands.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

IDT" is text talk for "I don't think".
IA "I apologize " IDNKT "I did not know that "
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Spike

Hunted yesterday the last day of muzzleloader. I went into the steepest and thickest part of the state land to a watch that I had left alone all season. Well it wasn't long and 2 doe came over the top of the embankment and crossed the creek about 125 yds below me. I waited for her to turn and let her have it. 2 1/2 hours of dragging through the thick and up the mountain I went. Within the first 100 yds of the drag I saw 10 other deer and was happy to see that after only seeing 2 other in that area over the last few days, there was a healthy herd. The doe that shot dressed at 150 and was approx. 5 1/2 yrs old. I am also happy that my pop was there when I finally reached my truck. Although he doesn't go to far he was able to get out the last 3 days. It hasn't gone above 15 degrees and he gets cold easy.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 9r in Catt. county no deer, zip- nada, one bad season. Our dec. sucks they better wake up and manage the deer herd for hunters and not the insurance companies. To start a one buck limit for the season and 6pt. or better, i know this will get people excited. Rich
Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The purpose of hunting is to control the deer population, and I don't think the DEC manages it for either insurance companies or for hunters although both may play a roll in it all. Hunters shouldn't think that DEC's deer management is exclusively done for their benefit where they will all kill big bucks or any deer for that matter. Hunters are only a tool in deer management and they shouldn't expect the DEC to grow big bucks for them to shoot or to have a population of deer where a hunter will get to see 2 dozen of them every time he steps into the woods. Hunting was never meant to be a sure thing. No matter what some might be saying about the old days and how much better it was, there also was a time in the old when hardly anyone ever saw a deer never mind kill one. As bad as some think it is, we still have an awful lot of deer that get shot every year in NYS and there is always as many or more left for next year.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

Why does the DEC keep saying that crossbows would be another tool to manage the deer herd when forums like this and ny outdoor news are full of guys whining because they see no deer ? If you think you aren't seeing many deer now wait until crossbows are legalized and all the guys too lazy to learn to shoot archery gear can go buy their crossbows and start killing more deer in the archery season . I also saw less deer this year (all day sits the first two days - 7 deer , only 3 more the rest of the week) and I sure don't want more competition for the few deer that are around.
I think less DMP's and a shorter gun season would let the herd rebound ,a few bucks live longer, and give us more opportunity down the road. DEC would probably not
like the larger herd but I would!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.