Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Less Deer in NY? >

Less Deer in NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Less Deer in NY?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

It was kind of light up in Steuben County, NY as well. Did not see as many dear as we thought we would. Warm weather could be a reason. Anyone know how it has been down in 3M so far. Will be hunting there this up coming week.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NJ Camo Man
It was kind of light up in Steuben County, NY as well. Did not see as many dear as we thought we would. Warm weather could be a reason. Anyone know how it has been down in 3M so far. Will be hunting there this up coming week.
Im gonna be hunting in middletown tomorrow, weather is supposed to be good, at least last time I checked it was. I didnt see much moving this past week there, niether did my buddy, but I did have a close encounter w/ a good buck that sneaked by me last wensday. hopefully hell show up again.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Angry

Well, went out again this a.m., and sat until 8 without seeing anything. Then, at about 5 of 8, 4 deer come out about 100 yrds below us. I grab my gun and get in postion to where I think they will come. A moment after i do that, the deer spook and run away. Now, you may be thinking that they saw me. That was impossible. I was hunting in a strip of woods that was sufficiently thick from where they were to us that there is no way they would have seen me, and there was NO wind, so they most likely didn't smell me. Being the first deer ive seen since opening day, I was "Slightly irked" that they spooked out, and i am racking my brain trying to figure out why they did. They have never done that before. UGH.
Well, going out tonight, updates to come from NEW YOOOOOOOORK!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you should move your stand and hunt in a different location. Spend more time than 4 days in the woods also. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year has been very weird. saw most of the rut activity in oct. and im seeing deer moving mostly when it rains, go figure.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default same here

Ive hunted 2 weeks of archery , 1 week of muzzle loader and now going on my 6th week of rifle . Hunting Northern NY ,
Will admit I,ve seen deer , at least 3 different bucks ( to small ) and have 3 other ( nice ) on camera .
I have also observed fewer deer sightings not to mention there coming out of bedding much much later .
If I watch a food plot its abought 1/2 hr or less when they enter the fields .
I hunted 80 % of the days so far and most both am and pm .
I have also been to 8T Steuben Co .( Howard) and normally see plenty of deer , this year I only seen 4 in 3 days of hunting .
Last 8 years I manged to easily fill 2 or more of my tags .
This year was zero ???
I think NYS needs to come up with a much better way to calculate the deer population numbers ..
I will admit I had a chance to fill my buck tag but did pass on a 5 pointer , I do try to manage my lot . Weather it makes a difference or not ,,
I have not seen a buck chase a doe in the last 2 seasons ,,
Coming to an end so good luck to all tag holders ..
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

I posted the other night about not seeing many deer, and that's true but sunday I did smoke a nice 8 point, my first buck. He came between my father and I, busted my father trying to get around on him and ran right to the creek crossing I was watching. I missed him with the first shot, gave him s racing stripe on his belly then put the second shot right through the boiler room at roughly 100 yards. Overall we've seen less see than normal but not complaining any more!!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Spike

I hunt in 9Y saw many deer first day, our party took 2 small bucks (I can't convince the boys to let the little guys walk). After that it got very slow, had a bit of snow last weekend and we all saw a few deer but nothing within range.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I filled both my buck and doe tags again this year. I hunt in Delaware county and in all the years I have hunted there it's not like I have ever been overrun with deer. Sometimes you go days without seeing anything. You just got to put in your time and not miss the ones you do get to see, that's pretty much the name of the game for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Spike

I have seen fewer deer this year than ever before. Although I have seen more big rack bucks than past seasons, the number/amount of deer just aren't there. Goping days without seeing deer just isn't normal where I hunt. Nocturnal? Maybe, probably! But I think/know I have a serious coyote problem that contributes to the amount of deer I'm seeing too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.