Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Massachusetts Update >

Massachusetts Update

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Massachusetts Update

Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Spike

Default Massachusetts Update

Hello everyone. I just registered today and hadn't registered earlier because I've been hammering the woods.
I wanted to get everyone's input on what you have been seeing out there.
On October 15th I shot a mature doe and passed on a doe and fawn
October 20th I missed a huge old 6 pointer and then shot his little buddy that was following about 10 minutes behind.
Then it was slow for a few weeks Until November 6th when bucks started chasing does.
Then I went to Maine for 10 days and saw a lot of sign but no deer.
Now Im back and want to know if you guys thought the rut was in full swing or if this warm weather has the does holding off?

Also this last 7 days (Nov 15-22) my friend has seen a big buck come into a doe hotspot and hes hanging around in tight cover so I would assume hes breeding some of those beautiful ladies.

Glad to be here and Id like to keep this Mass thread cranking.
-Matt
Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Spike

Season started off good for me saw lot of deer on the move. Bagged a doe on the move week into the season. Last 2 weeks I think rut in zone 11 has been full swing. This weekend I hunted the whole day and was the first time I didnt see a deer all day, not sure if its this warm weather keeping them active at night? Or if some are partnering up with does already. Couple of friends bagged bucks this weekend I heard stories of guys hearing them fighting both times in the early morning and grunting to get em to come charging in looking for a fight.

I dont know why they dont let us hunt thanksgiving week. Least it will give me some time to rehang some stands for shotgun setups.

Cant decide where to hang em, around rub lines , scrapes, on runs, near food.... Wish I could be in all my stands @ once.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Spike

Im in zone 11. I went out today to set up some trail cameras. Put one in a small food plot one in an area that is all beech trees with very little underbrush and one next to a swamp where I believe some deer have bedded down. I'll let you know where I get the most action.
For late season I would say hunt near the food if you have some on the property you hunt. Otherwise just hunt the main travel corridors.

Anyone have an opinion about rubs in the late season?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

picking up here in Berkshire County... too bad we can't hunt this week!!!
started off good... slowed down a bit... been picking up last week or so.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

well started bad got worse then stayed bad in zone five hunted all but 4 days during bow seen only five deer between 5 of us only one deer killed all bow season i missed and 8 that was alil to far but took the shot anyways that was the only one i shot at i shot a 4pnter in Vt saterday bout it for the season cant wait till shotgun opens with my doe tag should put more meat in the freezer
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

been getting some good buck pics on camera where we will be hunting the Gun opener... we shall see.