Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Last Day Sucess! >

Last Day Sucess!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Last Day Sucess!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last Day Sucess!

I thought I'd post this over here as well.

Well, there is nothing waiting until the last minute to get it done this year. I took this PA 8 pointer on the last day of the archery season at 10:30 AM. He's not my biggest buck, but I think he's a respectable buck, especially after the season I have been having.

I usually take off the last week of archery season here to hunt the rut. I spent Monday through Friday in a treestand from daylight to dark. Monday and Tuesday were definitely my best days as I saw lots of chasing and cruising action, but no shot opportunities at the good bucks. Wednesday went uneventful. Thursday rolls around and I decided to move my stand about 100 yards below me. I couldn't figure out why none of the movement put deer within bow range of my current stand set. It dawned on me Wednesday morning that maybe all of the tree tops that came down during our early season snow is funneling deer around me. So I moved 100 yards to where the action seemed to be for Thursdays hunt. Sure enough, around 7:30 AM, I had a nice buck working his way toward me from above. I grabbed the bow and got into position for the shot. I then heard something walking to my right (buck was to the left). There are three does below me! I thought...there is no way I'm going to be able to draw with them there, they'll bust me. Meanwhile, the buck is still making his way to me...50 yards.....40....30...finally, at 20 I had an opportunity to draw on him and I did. The does never saw me. I settled the pin on him and mouth bleated to stop him. He wouldn't stop. I "bleated" louder. Nothing. He was slowly walking and I figured I could make the shot on him before he got into the thick stuff in front of me. I followed him with the pin and let it rip. He took off running with the does and stopped 50 yards below me, looking back. I watched him, waiting for him to go down...but instead, he spun around and ran down through the brush with the does. He didn't appear hit at all. I couldn't figure out what the heck could have went wrong. I saw the arrow apear to disapear into his chest. I got out of the tree and checked the arrow. Sure enough...I robin hooded a dandy 100pt sapling. I still need to score him, but man its going to take a while.

So I hunted Friday, completely deflated. As many of you know, you usually only get one good opportunity at a good buck in a season. I saw some deer, but it was slow and the temps were soaring into the 60's.

Saturday, the last day found me back in my original stand. I figured what the heck, I like the tree, its comfortable and if nothing else, I can at least sleep while I'm up there. I got up in the morning and didn't even go through my usual scentless shower regimin. I just got dressed and went.

Daylight comes and I have a one horn spike below me cruising through. Then, nothing for the next several hours. Around 10:30, I caught movement to my right. It was a deer. He finally stepped into the open and sure enough, it was a decent buck! I thought it was the same buck I'd missed two days earlier, but after closer inspection, it was a different deer. Everything from there was a blur. I grabbed the bow and watched him walk directly toward my shooting lane off to my left and in front of me. I drew back before he got into the lane and when he stepped into into it, I "bleated" at him and this time, he stopped. I burried the 20 yard pin on the center of his chest and left the arrow go. He spun around and started back where he came from, but he never made it. He crashed to the ground within site not 50 yards from where I'd shot and suddenly, after a week of ups and downs, my archery season was over. I sat in the tree for about a half hour calming my nerves, realizing what just happened. I couldn't believe it, the last day of the season and my confidence at its lowest that morning and I just took a decent 8 pointer. I was totally pumped.

I got out of the tree, gathered up my stuff and walked over to check him over. I sat down beside him and said a prayer and thanked my dad. This is the first buck I've taken since my dad passed away 2 years ago. I know he was up there smiling from ear to ear and I can't help but think he might have had a part in this whole thing.

I called my buddy Jeremy and he offered to come clean him up, get some pics and get him out. I have him to thank for the great pics and ease of dragging.

It just goes to show ya. Never, ever give up out there. It could all change in the blink of an eye.

Hope you guys like him and the story.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Good story and a great deer, nice job!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

Fabulous deer and great story. It is good to show respect for the animals we kill and the hunters that have passed on.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Buck! Congrats!!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck congrats
Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Spike

Nice buck congrats...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great PA Buck!! Congrats and Great Story!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing your story and congrat's to you on your nice buck!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats on buck.every year i say,SPROUL GO OUT AND GET YOUR BUCK IN ARCHERY.HECK I CAN HUNT EVERYDAY.well i did not get out again this year with dad sick and my back acting up.
now i am feeling better and ready to hunt when the 9 new jersey hunters arrive to surround me for first 4 days of buck.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, great story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.