Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Last night, last hour >

Last night, last hour

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Last night, last hour

Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Last night, last hour

I shot a decent 8 pt. Saturday evening @ 4:30. I was frustrated by not seeing a single deer in the morning so at 11:00am I walked to the back of the farm and moved my climber to a spot I haven't hunted in 2 years. Went home, ate some lunch and headed back out
about 2:00pm. Saw one doe but she didn't come close enough, at this point I was going to take her, I've held out long enough. About 4:15 this 8 pt. comes walking in from out of nowhere, I noticed he had limp. I drew my bow and stopped him with a mouth bleet, of course he stopped right behind a tree at 20 yards. I'm at full draw w/ my shoulder killing(rotator cup?). He started walking again and I stopped him broadside @15 yards. The good old Thunderhead 85 took out both lungs and he managed to run about 60 yards before dropping in the middle of the bean field. This was the first deer I've shot with the bow that I actually had the pleasure of watching fall. I called my wife from my stand and told her to get my oldest boy ready, I just shot a buck. I rode back to the house on the four wheeler and he was already in the driveway waiting for me. He asked me how big it was, I told him I thought it was an eight but I never walked up to it, I wanted to share that experience with him. This was his first time experiencing field dressing, even though he wouldn't touch anything he still helped hold the legs. I was glad to be able to pass on the tradition just like my dad did. He said it was gross and that he wants to "wait till he shoots his first deer to do any of the yucky stuff". It was a great night all around. I have no idea how to post pics, I'll see what I can do later.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job! Cant wait to see the pics. also, way to get your boy involved! congrats
Old 11-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
Great job! Cant wait to see the pics. also, way to get your boy involved! congrats
Thanks Hunt4Life. I mentioned he was limping, well, when we were butchering him Sunday morning we noticed he had some damage to his right front shoulder. It appears he was shot with a small caliber bullet, probably a .22 or .22 mag. The hide had healed over but the leg was clotty and the bone was splintered but not broken. Poachers are everywhere I guess.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Thanks Hunt4Life. I mentioned he was limping, well, when we were butchering him Sunday morning we noticed he had some damage to his right front shoulder. It appears he was shot with a small caliber bullet, probably a .22 or .22 mag. The hide had healed over but the leg was clotty and the bone was splintered but not broken. Poachers are everywhere I guess.
Heres two pictures, the quality isn't too good cause it was dark and very warm so I was in a hurry to get him hung and skinned.
Attached Thumbnails Last night, last hour-dsc_0005.jpg   Last night, last hour-dsc_0004.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

NICE DEER. Good job gettin the kid in the mix
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

A hunter who doesn't give up. I like seeing that type of dedication. Great job of sticking with it and congrat's on a fine Pa. buck.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blkpowder
A hunter who doesn't give up. I like seeing that type of dedication. Great job of sticking with it and congrat's on a fine Pa. buck.
Thank you sir! I hunted hard this bow season and saw a super nice buck almost everytime I went out. Unfortunately he was always one step ahead of me. The 8pt. I shot was with him almost evertime I saw him early in the season but I wanted big brother. It doesn't always work out how you planned but I'm darn proud of this deer. My wife told me I got my monies worth on the archery tag with all the time I put in.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the future memories. Your boy will take to the task after he watches you do it a few times. He will grow to accept it as part of the hunt.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck and a good story.

Congrats on your first bow buck! First of many I'm sure!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Nice buck and a good story.

Congrats on your first bow buck! First of many I'm sure!
First one I got to see fall, it's the third buck I've gotten w/ a bow. Most of the time they run into the thick stuff and I never see them fall, but thank you very much! Each one is like the first though, that feeling is indescribable.