HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Last night, last hour
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Camosteel
Fork Horn

Default Last night, last hour

I shot a decent 8 pt. Saturday evening @ 4:30. I was frustrated by not seeing a single deer in the morning so at 11:00am I walked to the back of the farm and moved my climber to a spot I haven't hunted in 2 years. Went home, ate some lunch and headed back out
about 2:00pm. Saw one doe but she didn't come close enough, at this point I was going to take her, I've held out long enough. About 4:15 this 8 pt. comes walking in from out of nowhere, I noticed he had limp. I drew my bow and stopped him with a mouth bleet, of course he stopped right behind a tree at 20 yards. I'm at full draw w/ my shoulder killing(rotator cup?). He started walking again and I stopped him broadside @15 yards. The good old Thunderhead 85 took out both lungs and he managed to run about 60 yards before dropping in the middle of the bean field. This was the first deer I've shot with the bow that I actually had the pleasure of watching fall. I called my wife from my stand and told her to get my oldest boy ready, I just shot a buck. I rode back to the house on the four wheeler and he was already in the driveway waiting for me. He asked me how big it was, I told him I thought it was an eight but I never walked up to it, I wanted to share that experience with him. This was his first time experiencing field dressing, even though he wouldn't touch anything he still helped hold the legs. I was glad to be able to pass on the tradition just like my dad did. He said it was gross and that he wants to "wait till he shoots his first deer to do any of the yucky stuff". It was a great night all around. I have no idea how to post pics, I'll see what I can do later.