Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
ticks..Ticks..TICKS.!! >

ticks..Ticks..TICKS.!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ticks..Ticks..TICKS.!!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Further

Other tips
Once home or at camp if you have a clothes dryer.
Clothes worn outside put in a dryer at a hot setting will kill ticks tha are hidden.

Never put field clothes on your bed roll. Always hang away at a distance.

Field cloths put in a plastic bag and sprayed with Permanone and sealed will act like a fumigator. Just seal end of bag over night.

Seal your self. Long johns with socks over the cuff and a long sleeved t-shirt with the tail tucked in only leaves you wrists and neck exposed. So Protect yourself.

Smooth green rubber boots ticks can not cling to.

Ticks are the only Arthropod I know of that makes one git nekid with someone else as you just can't see everywhere.

Inspect yourself each night - feel along your hair line - Prompt tick removal greatly reduces the risk of a tick borne diseases they might carry.

Find a tick stuck on you -
Removal - Ticks do not screw or bury their whole body in you. But the do stick in their chewing-sucking mouth parts. Grab at the point of attachment even with a bit of skin with a forceps and remove. DO NOT Squeeze the ticks body! You have a live hypodermic needle there.

NOTE: Using a coating of Vaseline - or using a lit match or coating with nail polish are NOT to be used. PROMPT Tick Removal is a MUST. USE A FORCEPS!!

Upon removal scotch tape the tick to a file card - mark date - area of body found, geographical area you picked up the hitch hiker and save. Ticks can NOT chew through tape and if you come down with some type of unforeseen illness you got the potential culprit.
Once removed wash the bitten area with soap and water well. Any ole antiseptic ointment will do - I like Neosporin. Even use that on my dogs.
JW
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

be careful, those guys can cause problems for you and your family. made the big mistake of bringing a deer home, hangin it out back-- the dog was sniffing around and brought them into the house-- my wife has been struggling w life for 3 years and still fighting it back. once you get it, and don't treat it right away (because you don;t know why you have headaches, neck pain, joint pain, nerve pain, etc. by the way, no bulls eye required either) it gets worse and worse. then treatments are less effective, the longer you've had it. I will NEVER bring a deer near my home again. Seriously guys, we've learned more about this disease than I hope you will ever have to learn. Very scary and debiliating. Be vigilant like previous posts note-- the deer, mice, rabbits are their hosts and move with them. deer especially. thats how they are spreading because they don't travel far at all on their own. good luck.