Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Next Weekend... Rut? >

Next Weekend... Rut?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Next Weekend... Rut?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Next Weekend... Rut?

Well I am heading up to NY to my property this upcoming weekend. Im getting a bit worried, because many people have been seeing rutting action for two weeks now... Do you think this up coming weekend with be a good weekend to "rut" hunt? Im thinking it might be just past the peak with many bucks already finding does already. What do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rutting

I ve seen 2 bucks in the last 3 weeks , 1st one was 3 weeks ago and was eating in the field right next to 2 does .
2nd was yesterday moning abought 2 hrs after lite .
He seamed to be on a mission and alone .
I tried gunting him in and doe bleats with no luck .
Almost seqamed to scare him a little ??
He was 350 yads away at the time ,,,,
Old 11-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tracker, when a grunt scares a buck, it could mean there is a much bigger buck in the area, and the one you are looking at is afraid of him.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Don't worry. While there has been a lot of buck activity in the NE, the vast majority of doe haven't come into heat yet. Basically the bucks are in rut, the does are not. Which is actually the best time (right now)to kill a big buck. They are on the move, scraping, scent checking doe groups, fighting, and chasing does , but actual breeding is approx a week to 10 days away. This weekend should bring very high levels of deer movement, and chasing action to most hunters in the northeast and midwest. Remember, the rut is a PROCESS that builds in intensity from actually the time that the bucks lose their velvet in early september, right on up till peak breeding.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Don't worry. While there has been a lot of buck activity in the NE, the vast majority of doe haven't come into heat yet. Basically the bucks are in rut, the does are not. Which is actually the best time (right now)to kill a big buck. They are on the move, scraping, scent checking doe groups, fighting, and chasing does , but actual breeding is approx a week to 10 days away. This weekend should bring very high levels of deer movement, and chasing action to most hunters in the northeast and midwest. Remember, the rut is a PROCESS that builds in intensity from actually the time that the bucks lose their velvet in early september, right on up till peak breeding.
Awesome! Thanks for reassuring me lol. I cant friggin wait.. the school days go by so slow! I think im gonna take anything 5 points and up, as long as the body size is good!

Come faster weekend
Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

This is one of the best responces to this question I have ever read.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

For this weekend would you guys say rattle, or bleat? A combination of both? Whats more valuable to the bucks right now?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Typical Buck

This is the time where you "let it all out." Everything you have in your bag of tricks. I lay a scent trail, doe in heat, and try to walk the long way into my stand, hoping any deer that crosses that scent trail will follow it in, and they often do. I also hang scent wicks in my shooting lanes, and I'll be doing rattling sequences every half hour or so, with grunts and bleats mixed in as well....You want to make it sound as if a doe just entered estous, and a couple bucks have already found her and are fighting for the rights to breed her. This will attract any age class buck, hoping to sneak off with the doe while the other bucks are preoccupied with fighting. This is the magic window that we wait all year for,...kinda like bottom of the ninth, game 7.....Don't hold back, or be conservative with your hunitng strategies. Good luck, buddy. Hope you get that first bow buck!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

This is the time where you "let it all out." Everything you have in your bag of tricks. I lay a scent trail, doe in heat, and try to walk the long way into my stand, hoping any deer that crosses that scent trail will follow it in, and they often do. I also hang scent wicks in my shooting lanes, and I'll be doing rattling sequences every half hour or so, with grunts and bleats mixed in as well....You want to make it sound as if a doe just entered estous, and a couple bucks have already found her and are fighting for the rights to breed her. This will attract any age class buck, hoping to sneak off with the doe while the other bucks are preoccupied with fighting. This is the magic window that we wait all year for,...kinda like bottom of the ninth, game 7.....Don't hold back, or be conservative with your hunitng strategies. Good luck, buddy. Hope you get that first bow buck!

Awesome advice.. I will try all that you mentioned. Do you use code blue?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Awesome advice.. I will try all that you mentioned. Do you use code blue?
Code blue is good stuff....I usually cheap out and use the Primetime scents from H.S. ....they are way cheaper and they work very well. If they didn't work, I'd just pay up for the pricier stuff. Laying that scent trail (on a drag attached to your boot or a stick) is my all time favorite. Many times, I've done that early in the dark, and right at daybreak you hear the grunting first, then here comes a buck, nose to the ground, like a bloodhound coming right in. Every buck that comes in (even small ones) make the trail that much hotter, as any buck that finds it, now smells that other bucks have also found it and taken up chase. When I call, I like to start with a couple doe bleats...wait a couple minutes, then give a few deep grunts, then a loud snort wheeze....smack the rattling bag and work it hard about twenty to thirty seconds...then a few more grunts. Repeat every twenty to thirty minutes until I see a deer. before starting another sequence, be sure to take LONG HARD look all around you. Too many times I didn't look carefully enough and had a buck watching me that spooked when the guy in the tree started making all the racket! Keep your eyes peeled. Hopefully anything that comes in and circles downwind, will smell your scnet wicks and come in. Very important to be as scent free as possible right now, esp if calling like that, as big bucks wll circle in downwind. So you can't rely as much on a favorable wind protecing you from detection...you have to use best scent control practices adn hope they focus on the lures you placed out, and come in anyhow...which they often do. They get just dumb enough right now to lower that guard and their sexual instincts make them do things that they normaly wouldn't. And watch those does...they can be really spookish right now, with the bucks chasing them, and they will bust you in a second. Good luck!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.