HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Next Weekend... Rut?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Awesome advice.. I will try all that you mentioned. Do you use code blue?
Code blue is good stuff....I usually cheap out and use the Primetime scents from H.S. ....they are way cheaper and they work very well. If they didn't work, I'd just pay up for the pricier stuff. Laying that scent trail (on a drag attached to your boot or a stick) is my all time favorite. Many times, I've done that early in the dark, and right at daybreak you hear the grunting first, then here comes a buck, nose to the ground, like a bloodhound coming right in. Every buck that comes in (even small ones) make the trail that much hotter, as any buck that finds it, now smells that other bucks have also found it and taken up chase. When I call, I like to start with a couple doe bleats...wait a couple minutes, then give a few deep grunts, then a loud snort wheeze....smack the rattling bag and work it hard about twenty to thirty seconds...then a few more grunts. Repeat every twenty to thirty minutes until I see a deer. before starting another sequence, be sure to take LONG HARD look all around you. Too many times I didn't look carefully enough and had a buck watching me that spooked when the guy in the tree started making all the racket! Keep your eyes peeled. Hopefully anything that comes in and circles downwind, will smell your scnet wicks and come in. Very important to be as scent free as possible right now, esp if calling like that, as big bucks wll circle in downwind. So you can't rely as much on a favorable wind protecing you from detection...you have to use best scent control practices adn hope they focus on the lures you placed out, and come in anyhow...which they often do. They get just dumb enough right now to lower that guard and their sexual instincts make them do things that they normaly wouldn't. And watch those does...they can be really spookish right now, with the bucks chasing them, and they will bust you in a second. Good luck!!!