Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Northern WV, Southern, PA Western MD >

Northern WV, Southern, PA Western MD

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Northern WV, Southern, PA Western MD

Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

No hunting for this Ol' Boy this afternoon 25 mph wind, no thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few stands that are in low draws that are protected from wind. The trees on the hilltops can be getting blown around pretty hard and it is calm down where I am.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well yesterday basically sucked 15 mph wind out of the West all afternoon. The deer were super on edge. But at least it snowed and didn't rain. Still no daylight PIX of the big boys. Today is a new day only have a 10 mph wind now. LOL
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

guys, get out of treestands.get on ground and set up near a well used deer paths.nice thing is you can move and set up on buck better.i am doing much better on ground DURING RUT.any other time, i stay in my treestand.
bucks dont seem to be to concerned with me on ground and shots are real close too.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
Well yesterday basically sucked 15 mph wind out of the West all afternoon. The deer were super on edge. But at least it snowed and didn't rain. Still no daylight PIX of the big boys. Today is a new day only have a 10 mph wind now. LOL
when rut is in like now and wind is nasty, i am out in it.some of biggest bucks i have seen on GROUND were on windy days.it seems they cant get fix on you in wind and with gals on their minds, they dont care too much.stay out of treestands then and you will have better chance.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my brother were standing on a logging road one year during the rut, and we were BS'ing. I turned around and a small buck was standing in the creek 20 feet from us and he was sniffing. He kept looking at us as we were talking, but never paid any real mind to us. Then he slowly walked away. Was the darndest thing. I had an eight point charge in on me while walking once, and I thought he was going to mount me. He wouldn't leave me alone.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

You, guys are aware that the "rut" lasts for about 4 weeks right? We are just now entering the first stage of the rut. Maybe in 2 or three weeks when the bucks are looking for the last of the does to bread the ground might be the best place to hunt. But for now I am staying in the trees. Also I am hunting a very large tract of land and in bow season I have it all to myself. There is not one bit of agriculture on this land and none close to it. But we are having a bumper crop of acorns. This has our deer fairly spread out all over this tract. Thank goodness I can hunt every day all day if I chose.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
You, guys are aware that the "rut" lasts for about 4 weeks right? We are just now entering the first stage of the rut. Maybe in 2 or three weeks when the bucks are looking for the last of the does to bread the ground might be the best place to hunt. But for now I am staying in the trees. Also I am hunting a very large tract of land and in bow season I have it all to myself. There is not one bit of agriculture on this land and none close to it. But we are having a bumper crop of acorns. This has our deer fairly spread out all over this tract. Thank goodness I can hunt every day all day if I chose.
nothing wrong with tree to hunt, i do it also.but with full rut this week, i can move and set up better on ground.the bucks will run down paths that we walk on .i hunt the PATHS. i take my drag,at about 10am,i dont go out early.i know where a buck may be bedded.i drag path for about 200 yards.then i hang it on bush.
this only works 1 TIME if you have buck in area.once he gets bushwacked, move to another area.it only works 1 time.but boy does it work and i dont have to sit in tree all day.most times if a buck is in that area, its not more than 2 hrs before he shows up RUNNING down the path.again path i am talking about is one we use to hike on or walk.they will take easy route not thru thick brush.

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN
Old 11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

High temp tomarrow 70 WTF.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I saw 21 deer Wednesday, feeding all day long, still pre-rut behavior. I saw 2 bucks tending to a scrape but neither were chasing does. Which is great for me since I don't get to bowhunt much and gun season hasn't been in peak rut since 2003 or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.