HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Northern WV, Southern, PA Western MD
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
You, guys are aware that the "rut" lasts for about 4 weeks right? We are just now entering the first stage of the rut. Maybe in 2 or three weeks when the bucks are looking for the last of the does to bread the ground might be the best place to hunt. But for now I am staying in the trees. Also I am hunting a very large tract of land and in bow season I have it all to myself. There is not one bit of agriculture on this land and none close to it. But we are having a bumper crop of acorns. This has our deer fairly spread out all over this tract. Thank goodness I can hunt every day all day if I chose.
nothing wrong with tree to hunt, i do it also.but with full rut this week, i can move and set up better on ground.the bucks will run down paths that we walk on .i hunt the PATHS. i take my drag,at about 10am,i dont go out early.i know where a buck may be bedded.i drag path for about 200 yards.then i hang it on bush.
this only works 1 TIME if you have buck in area.once he gets bushwacked, move to another area.it only works 1 time.but boy does it work and i dont have to sit in tree all day.most times if a buck is in that area, its not more than 2 hrs before he shows up RUNNING down the path.again path i am talking about is one we use to hike on or walk.they will take easy route not thru thick brush.

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN