Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
the rut is starting in WNY >

the rut is starting in WNY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

the rut is starting in WNY

Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default the rut is starting in WNY

sitting in my tree stand yesterday I heard a buck grunting . then I see a four point go past me and he was definitely on a mission grunting all the way .The funny thing is i was there for over an hour and he was the only deer that went by .I thought it was a little early but he proved me wrong
Old 10-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday morning I had a ton of young bucks running doe's grunting up a storm, they are ready but the Doe's are quite there. Any day it will snap and then it is on
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

definitely just the beginning. lets not get crazy and put the cart before the horse. Just because a few young bucks are acting stupid and chasing and grunting hardly means the rut is here. When the big boys are standing in the middle of a cut field at noon time then post the rut is here!!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here in SE NY. Ive witnessed lots of chasing by bigger bucks even, in orange and rockland, since last sunday, very odd but Id spend alot time in a stand right now, even in the rain, if you havent already tagged out.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would actually say w/ some certainty, as odd as it sounds, that some does are coming into heat now. I killed a pretty decent buck yesterday that was tending a doe, that was letting him get very close, like she was very close to letting him mount her, I cant be sure but she was defiantly behaving more like a nov 12th doe than a late oct. doe. I think there are probably a few does in every herd that are coming into estrus early for some reason and driving all the bucks crazy. Ive seen it in several different spots, and so have my buds. Like I said, get out there!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good everyone. I will be out this weekend
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Spike

Tonight in the stand i had a small buck chasing 2 does around...hopefully the big guy will be poking his head out soon.