Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Northern Big Game opener >

NY Northern Big Game opener

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Northern Big Game opener

Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default NY Northern Big Game opener

Well Rifle season began this morning , I can just imagone how many stayed home ??
The wind blew hard all night long and most of the day .Must of been at leat 30 to 40 mph gusts ..
It was crazy wind , rain , and downpoors ..
I went out this evening , was windy but not as bad ,
Seen a few deer come out in a field very late , almost dark ..
Not sure why but the deer seem to be coming out to the fields later this year ???
Someone mentioned they were staying in the corn fields ??
Also herd there were plenty of acorns this year although I dont have many oaks ..
Did here a few rifle shots late ..
Anyone have any better luck >>>>
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Spike

I went out for about 2 hours Saturday morning but that was it. Today I was out all day. At about 9:30 this morning I had a doe come jumping out to the left of me when I was walking along a ridge. She started to look back and I started to look in that direction. A large bodied decent 8 point came out of the brush at about 10 yards but saw me before I could get my gun up. I watched it run away for about 5 seconds before I could not see it anymore. Opening weekend and I already had that rush of excitement. Even though I did not get him I was all shook up for about 30 minutes. This is why I hunt!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nice

At least your seeing them .
I,ve seen a few does but only one buk abought 600 yds away .. JJJJeeessshhhh ,,,
Anyways seems like there coming out late to feed this year ?
I,m not seeing anywhere near the deer I usualy see this time of year ..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

hey tracker,
I'm seeing the same thing. Less deer that is. Less bucks on my cameras too. I hunt Northern zone 1 hour north of Albany NY at the foot of the adirondacks as well as have a camp in southwestern NY in Allegany county. I just got back from a 4 day hunt there and didn't see a deer. WTF? I think the past 2 hard winters have put a hurting on them. We had snow in my area from early decemeber on. I recall 4-5 years ago when I never even rode my snowmobile from home because of no snow.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

it sucked we had over 300 acres of posted farm to hunt.i wish people could read we had more people then deer.next year will be better my cuz was not happy when i came home and i told him about all the hunters on his farm.after all that we did get a buck a small 5 pointer
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default ????

If I remember right last year or the year before was frigid cold here , like mid 20s during the day and down to 22 below at night for aboght 4 to 5 weeks .
I think it made a toll on the deer ...